Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wsm guys  (Read 2232 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Wsm guys
« on: September 12, 2017, 06:57:53 AM »
Do you use the water bowl every time or no? New to this

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Re: Wsm guys
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 07:01:03 AM »
I never use it and never put any bricks, sand, etc. in it.  Just cover with foil and leave it in place. I've never had any temp control issues once I learned the way it likes to run and how to manage my fire.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:01:40 AM »
I do.  Depending on what I am cooking depends on the amount of water.  Also.. The water is primarily a heat sink to absorb the heat during a cook.  If you start with ice cold water or super hot water also impacts getting that temp under control.

So during the summer, I will actually prep and get the water in the pan in the morning/afternoon even though I'm not cooking until midnight.  1) I can see in the light and 2) the water is the temp of the air outside.  During winter i'll bring out average warmth tap water from inside.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 07:06:13 AM »
What about any other mods you all do ? Mines a 2002 no thermo on the lid

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 07:09:05 AM »
I have tried both, and both get good results.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 07:10:53 AM »
Mine's an L-Code. I've put a thermo on the lid just so I have something that I can glance at when I am walking by it.  No other mods for me although I'm considering a Cajun Bandit door.

I say run it and do some cooks before you start modding.  See what works and doesn't work for you and then make changes as necessary.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 07:26:43 AM »
Mine's an L-Code. I've put a thermo on the lid just so I have something that I can glance at when I am walking by it.  No other mods for me although I'm considering a Cajun Bandit door.

I say run it and do some cooks before you start modding.  See what works and doesn't work for you and then make changes as necessary.
Yea I'll probably go that route. Not even completely sure if I'm gonna keep it. I havnt done a long cook on a kettle yet still getting cooks tuned in, and know a wsm  is a whole other beast. So ill probably  clean it up and experiment with a small pork butt and go from there

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 07:30:51 AM »
What Neil said. I installed a lid thermometer and that is all I use for ambient temperature monitoring.  I also installed the Cajun bandit door and latch. While neither are absolute necessities, i wouldn't use it often without it. I barely use it the way it is. It's very nice but I usually use the 26r for smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 07:32:16 AM »

Yea I'll probably go that route. Not even completely sure if I'm gonna keep it. I havnt done a long cook on a kettle yet still getting cooks tuned in, and know a wsm  is a whole other beast. So ill probably  clean it up and experiment with a small pork butt and go from there

Dude, try a butt in the kettle. Way easier imo.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 07:34:32 AM »
Like @Mdurso, I use water in the pan pretty much every time.

I have a CB door and latch go mine because the original door and latch were busted when I bought it.

You can add a thermometer to the lid or you could use your 2 probe and run it under the lid. No drilling that way.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 08:15:14 AM »
I just foil the water pan and run it empty.  Change foil out between cooks and you're good to go.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 07:58:56 PM »
I rarely use water as I only use the WSM for long cooks, then the water runs out and temp shoots through the roof. I always cook with it in place to keep the meat from the radiant heat of the fire. You can cook without it altogether but it will require a different technique altogether.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 09:51:47 PM »
I rarely use water as I only use the WSM for long cooks, then the water runs out and temp shoots through the roof. I always cook with it in place to keep the meat from the radiant heat of the fire. You can cook without it altogether but it will require a different technique altogether.
You could just toss a small pizza pan to stop radiant heat then right? Mine doesn't have the water bowl that's why I'm trying to see what all you other more advanced cookers do

RSHU

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 01:34:34 AM »
I started out using water in the bowl, but not anymore. Just make sure you watch the temps as it goes up by limiting the airflow until you reach the target temperature. It's easier to get it hotter, and harder to bring the temp down after it gets too hot. Plus this helps with cleanup after, I hated getting rid of the smokey water, very messy.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 02:25:39 AM »
Hunsaker Vortex Firebasket for the WSM

Get serious or stay stuck in BBQ 101 land!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!