Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Why Are Burgers So Difficult  (Read 3621 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Why Are Burgers So Difficult
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 03:11:31 PM »
Same here smash in the CI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 05:28:43 PM »
I agree. Everyone loves the smash burgers. Ill make a confession. I only make smash burgers on the cast iron or frozen angus patties. That's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Why Are Burgers So Difficult
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 05:34:13 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. The meat part has not been my problem......just the cook part. I must say that all of the ingredient ideas sound interesting. My hubby tho likes plain meat flavor....but rare....and uses garnish to dress it up. We also don't do burgers often and that is why I have been having a problem. I will practice on my next burger cook.

My fire is surely nice and hot, so the timing is the thing to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 06:32:51 AM »
If you want some of the best burgers? Go to a butcher and ask for course ground beef approx 20/80 or 15/85. Don't work the meat. Just break off about 8 oz and slightly ball it. When you are ready to put it on the grill, just nice and easy smash it and shape it. Don't try to make it nice and neat.
Cook it indirectly until the inside temp is about 160.
You don't have to sear them but if you do, do it over real hot for for only a few seconds per side.
Juicy and tender
When you work the meat to much and smash it all together pounding it into a neat Patty, it compresses the meat to much and it will come out more on the hard side.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 11:35:03 AM »
I'm a thick burger, medium rare kinda guy. I usually fire up the vortex, temps around 350-ish. I place the burgers around the perimeter, let them rock for a bit, then flip. If you want a sear, put them over the V for a few seconds, flipping. IT of burger is 145.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 01:54:44 PM »
I'm a sear n' slide guy. My Thermapen is the real expert.
Still need a 22” yellow

Dan520

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 04:27:44 AM »
Have to confess. I no longer do burgers on the weber-- smash only on the camp chef flat top.

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 06:05:34 AM »
I also no longer cook burgers on the grill but on a propane stove in a lodge 15" cast iron skillet,great crust
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 01:14:07 PM »
Try different times. Screaming hot, direct heat fire, put the patties in and set a timer or look at the clock. I go about 3 1/2 minutes on the first side and 3 on the other. This usually gives me a slight pink on the inside, which is how I like them.
What you use and how you form them make a difference too, but I'm sure you already got that part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly how I do it.  Put the cheese on with about a minute left in the cook.  Nice and melty.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
My favorite burgers are actually turkey burgers. Onion bun, thick, even turkey patties seasoned with ALDI steak seasoning, raw, sliced sweet onion, and a thick layer of miracle whip. Maybe a slice of tomato too.

Maybe they're my favorite cuz I put more effort into them than the normal ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.