Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Why Are Burgers So Difficult  (Read 3622 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Why Are Burgers So Difficult
« on: September 07, 2017, 04:05:12 PM »
For some reason making a simple burger seems like a big deal these days. Either too done or not rare.  Never used to have difficulty making them.

I make all kinds of roasts, chops, chicken, veggies etc....but burgers never seem to come out right any more.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Why Are Burgers So Difficult
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 04:13:30 PM »
Narrow margin for error on burgers and dogs. One of the harder items to cook right imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »
But it's a damn good reason to cook some more...

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 05:17:18 PM »
When I want a good burger, I use high fat meat and make the burgers thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 05:28:32 PM »
I use weber burger seasoning on all my burgers. It is delicious! Whole family loves it.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 09:53:53 PM »
Try different times. Screaming hot, direct heat fire, put the patties in and set a timer or look at the clock. I go about 3 1/2 minutes on the first side and 3 on the other. This usually gives me a slight pink on the inside, which is how I like them.
What you use and how you form them make a difference too, but I'm sure you already got that part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 12:01:04 AM »
I cook mine indirectly little hot. I might sear them a bit but usually not. They will get Brown and juicy this way. I usually cook 1/2# patties.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 05:55:33 AM »
I've learned to read the juice coming out of the burger and when it looks right I flip it to the cool zone to wait for the others.

Consistent  thickness and heat can help your burgers come out the way you want them. Sometimes, but not always, I'll ball up the meat in about equil size balls.
Put down a piece of wax paper or parchment and put a ball on it, then use a clear glass pie pan to whop it. You'll be able to see exactly how big & thick the patty is using a pie pan. The patty sticks to both but I peel it off the pan and use the paper to put the patty on a plate....repeat.

Another option  is to contact @LightningBoldtz to pick up Weber's big book of burgers. From what I've read on the forum it's got a boat load of different techniques for burgers.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 06:11:16 AM »
Thank HFG, yeah I do still have a few books but not a lot.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 11:19:29 AM »
@clarissa , If you are using lean beef switch to 80/20 ground beef.  When making the patty, do not overly compact the patty.  If you have 1lb of ground beef, you can make 4 burgers using roughly 1/2 cup of ground beef per burger.  My family LOVES Weber Chicago Steak Seasoning.....season the exterior, oil the patties with olive oil.....you're good to go.....use charcoal baskets pushed together in the middle for high heat.....3 to 4 minutes per side, depending on the doneness you want. 
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

RobertBaron

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 11:35:13 AM »
I don't cook burgers very often so I'm not really an expert on them, but the last set I did this summer turned out amazing.

I should have wrote down the blend, but basically it was like 80/20 ground beef, melted butter, a squeeze of ketchup, shredded/pulpy onions and panko bread crumbs. I might have added an egg but I don't recall. So yea, it was kinda like a meatball, but it didn't taste like one. The onions and the breadcrumbs basically just helped to add and retain moisture. The panko absorbs moisture and by the time they're cooked and you bite into it, you can't even tell there's breadcrumbs at all.

Anyway, I made some pretty thick patties and I cooked them differently then I've typically done in the past. For most meats now I've essentially become a reverse sear for all. So I reverse seared these burgers. I stuck my therm in one, got Audrey to 225 and brought the burgers up to 110 before taking them off and getting the fire screaming hot. Put them on for maybe 2-3 mins a side to get a nice sear on em. put them on the indirect side with some cheese, closed the lid and boom. A minute later some amazing burgers. They were cooked perfect medium rare with a thick band of red to the edges.

One of the best things I've cooked on the grill.

So yeah, if you have the time, space and a good therm, try reverse searing burgers next time

Pintail

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 12:44:18 PM »
I know how you feel, I had the same experience until I changed my technique.  I had a long post typed out with details but decided to refer you right to the source.  Amazingribs.com and AdrenalineBBQ youtube have excellent recipes for prep and reverse sear, just do what they say the first time, then later, tweak to suit yourself.

We are very happy with the results, they are rich, moist and flavorful, we only prepare them once a month or so but we have not gone out for a burger in nearly 2 years.

Please let us know how your quest for the perfect burger goes. 

Weber PerformerII, 2 WSM, 2 W kettles, Weber Genesis, SNS, LBGE, Thermapens, Smoke, Joule and etc.
I am an old man and have known a great many hardships, most of them never happened. Mark Twain

Daveb50

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 01:54:48 PM »
I set up the kettle for indirect cook. I use 80% -85% lean ground beef, and poke a hole in the middle of the patty with your finger while you make them, so they will cook evenly and not swell up in the center.  I sear them on both sides over the coals and then move them to indirect heat with the lid on until done. I use Emeril's Bam! Burger Seasoning. Oh so good.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:00:33 PM by Daveb50 »

kemmons

• WKC Brave
Why Are Burgers So Difficult
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 02:25:18 PM »
In my opinion experience most people don't like huge thick burgers.

I've been doing smash burgers recently and have just been using weber seasoning.  If people want them thicker then just make it a double.  I just sear over high heat for a couple minutes a side. 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 02:39:56 PM »
I agree. Everyone loves the smash burgers. Ill make a confession. I only make smash burgers on the cast iron or frozen angus patties. That's it.