Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The quest for a Summit Charcoal Pizza Oven (Loads of pics)  (Read 5887 times)

SixZeroFour

The quest for a Summit Charcoal Pizza Oven (Loads of pics)
« on: September 04, 2017, 02:59:54 PM »

I love pizza. And I also love my charcoal Summit...

Mostly because of it's versatility but also of course because its a Weber 8)

It only made sense to try to combine the two and I think I've finally found the perfect setup. I do also have the GBS pizza stone insert but this oven takes grilling pies to a whole new level.

The kit is made by and for Green Mountain Pellet Grills, but as you will see it's a pretty damn good fit for the Summit especially with a small tweak. More on that later. 

One of the big benefits of this kit is that is uses convection, conduction and radiant heat to cook the pizza. It also has a fairly low lid height so the toppings are cooked nicely along with the crust. The heat rises up through the lower opening and heats the large stainless pan from below, but also allows hot air to circle up around the sides and back of the oven lid itself. The large pizza stone also has integral feet so that it sits slightly off the stainless pan.

The oven kit is made of solid stainless steel and is HEAVY.

Nearly 30lbs including the stone!

Here are some box opening shots. If you are familiar with the Slow N Sear this unit has a very similar fit, finish and feel. I will let the pictures do the talking for a bit here:

The pizza stone itself is rectangular and huge which I just love. It makes it a lot easier to see what's going on inside and also allows for easy turning and maneuvering of the pizza while cooking. 

Beautiful construction. The design just makes sense.

The opening of the oven is perfect. Not too tall, not too short, and you can completely remove the lid if you want to see the entire stone.

And here it is mounted in the Summit. I have the charcoal grate on the lower setting and the outer charcoal ring removed completely along with the cooking grate.

The fitment is awesome more or less out of the box. It drops right in and hangs on the grate ledge perfectly - so much so that it will not even slide back and forth.

Here the lid of the summit is resting on the lid of the oven. Believe it or not the lid will actually close over it completely but its a tight fit. I prefer to leave the lid of the summit wide open but figured some might want to see the fitment. The handle would get insanely hot if you ran it this way so be careful! I only dropped it down temporarily and it gave me a bit of a surprise.

And now finally on to what really matters!

First Cook: Pepperoni Bacon Mushroom Pineapple... don't knock it till you try it!

After this first cook I decided to make the lower opening of the oven larger so that more of the heat from the charcoal bed would be captured and funneled upwards. The standard opening was designed for the pellet grill which has a much smaller element supplying the heat to the oven so 1" was trimmed off all sides to widen it up. This mod has multiple benefits as it also shortens the overall height of the unit and allows more room for fuel/charcoal.

This seemed to dial the oven right in and now it's running like a dream!

Next up a Hawaiian Pizza (Ham and Pineapple) - Apparently these aren't so popular down south? You guys are missing out. So good! ;)

Here's a Cheese, Pepperoni and Bacon delight ;D

NOW we've got some legit Pizza!!

And finally the "Marcus Supreme" as crafted by my youngest :D

So there you have it!

It took a bit to sort out a proper rig but now I am confident I can reproduce awesome pizza's any day of the week. It makes for a ton of fun and some really good eats in the end!

Hope you all enjoy!

Matt
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 05:19:14 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
Re: The quest for a Summit Charcoal Pizza Oven (Loads of pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »
Nice set up Matt your making me want to fire up my kettle pizza tonight lol looks like that worked out like a dream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQ to live live to BBQ

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 07:00:11 PM »
Wow amazing work and figuring out what fits best with few tweaks. How readily available is the green mountain kit? I don’t have a summit but now I want one even more. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 07:45:14 AM »
Beautiful pies right there @SixZeroFour , love the pizza cooker !! you are giving me some ideas maybe modding a 26er for pizza ? I will be checking out that Green mountain
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 09:09:03 AM »
Thanks guys!

@mhiszem check out the link below to find a distributor...

https://greenmountaingrills.com/find-a-dealer/

at $129 the kit is a great deal IMO. Much heavier construction than other pizza rigs out there.

Chem1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 08:55:15 AM »
Is the tray for the pizza stone fused to the tapered cone?  I could see using this on a gas grill if that cone is not attached.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 12:21:21 PM »
Is the tray for the pizza stone fused to the tapered cone?  I could see using this on a gas grill if that cone is not attached.

The cone section is welded to the flat stainless "tabletop" that the stone sits on - so you'd have to do some additional customizing if you wanted to adapt it to a gas grill.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 05:25:58 PM »
Pretty slick mod!  Love the Summit and pizza cook pics.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 08:08:01 AM »
Via the miracle of visiting the site on a mobile web browser, and clicking on random threads I revisited this one.

@JEBIV I also was thinking this could be interesting on a 26, with a grill grate made from expanded steel albeit with the center portion cut out such that the cone could nestle down. And then just run it without the lid, fueled by a Vortex. Maybe place an extra SS layer under the center of the oven, to further protect the bottom of the pie from the Vortex.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 10:15:03 AM »
@SixZeroFour , why didn't you just find another summit lid and cut it like the rest of us?  Seriously though, AWESOME set up and pies!!!! 
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Creep Life

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 09:45:03 AM »
@SixZeroFour , why didn't you just find another summit lid and cut it like the rest of us?  Seriously though, AWESOME set up and pies!!!!
Would you happen to have any pics of yours? ty