Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Home Made Vortex Very Hot  (Read 3283 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Home Made Vortex Very Hot
« on: August 31, 2017, 11:46:25 AM »
All I can say is wow....this thing creates an inferno. It almost immediately brought my lid temp up to the 600 mark. I have the bottom vent opened just maybe 1/4" right now because my turkey thighs are cooking too fast and are already browned.

This is my third cook using this thing and I guess I should have used less coals. Next time 1/2 a chimney.  This was about 3/4 full.

Only just over 30 minutes and this is what I have. Might wrap in foil for a bit so they will be tender and juicy. Turkey likes slow cooking.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Home Made Vortex Very Hot
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 12:38:14 PM »
Looks great so far

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 12:59:26 PM »
Those look good.  I've never seen turkey thighs in the store.  Are you getting them as separate parts @clarissa ?

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
Yes Clarissa, if you let it, the V takes charge sometimes! I love the versatility of it. Nice thighs BTW...  :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 02:13:05 PM »

Those look good.  I've never seen turkey thighs in the store.  Are you getting them as separate parts @clarissa ?

BD

I get them as a 2-pack at our local Shop Rite. Usually about $4 and change for each pack. Inexpensive and very tasty.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 02:18:28 PM »
Very pleased with my Poortex.  It works really well and I just have to learn about coal volume. I wrapped them for the next 3/4 hour while I got all my sides ready. Then opened them and left them on the grill till we were done with our salad.

I used that little smoke container of applewood that I got at Lowes but forgot I had. It really made the meat very tasty. My guys really liked the smoke flavor.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 02:22:50 PM »

Yes Clarissa, if you let it, the V takes charge sometimes! I love the versatility of it. Nice thighs BTW...  :)

I am still new to this method...but experience is the best teacher. Love it and will experiment more

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 04:43:51 PM »
Even with the Vortex I can still manage temps with the vents....
Wide open it will run 600+ and with the vents I can run it at 450 for a couple of hours...

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Home Made Vortex Very Hot
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 04:48:15 PM »
Exactly what I have discovered.  It can be a total inferno or you can adjust it for a nice even temp for slower cooking. Just takes a little practice. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 04:57:29 PM by clarissa »

Love-a-Weber

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 10:22:13 PM »
Looks good what you make your vortex out of?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 11:54:43 AM »

Looks good what you make your vortex out of?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I used an aluminum two piece cake pan.......works extremely well. The dimensions turn out to be H=4.5", Bottom=10", Top=8.5". It has a tapered shape and we snipped the bottom flange and folded it down to give a sturdy edge.

apt323

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 01:00:13 PM »
I have looked at cake pans and I am not finding something like you have so I too can have a poortex any help would be appreciated @clarissa
WANTED - Colored Jumbo Joe (18")

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 01:24:53 PM »
I made one for a smokey Joe out of a stainless steel dog bowl.  Just cut the bottom off.  For a larger poortex, use a stainless mixing bowl.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 01:47:35 PM »
I used mine tonight for burgers.  Just half a chimney gave plenty of heat. I used the cake pan because we don't have the proper blade to cut the bottom of a bowl. This surely works well so no need to do something else till this wears out. 

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 01:50:13 PM »

I have looked at cake pans and I am not finding something like you have so I too can have a poortex any help would be appreciated @clarissa

It is just a two piece tube pan or angel food cake pan.  They normally have them in Walmart or other inexpensive box stores. Just important not to get the non stick surface kind. Mine is plain aluminum.