Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermoworks smoke Wi-Fi gateway finally released  (Read 4025 times)

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
Re: Thermoworks smoke Wi-Fi gateway finally released
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 03:09:36 PM »
Thanks again for the info @Clubchapin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQ to live live to BBQ

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »
[quote author=CharliefromLI link=topic=32512.msg323822#msg323822 date=1504128882

Mini is an odd choice, the whole world is micro now...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I agree. Not a show stopper, but a head scratcher.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 03:56:55 PM »
Thanks again for the info @ClubChapin

I should add that vs the igrill, the smoke uses way nicer, more accurate, more durable, nicer, and cheaper probes than the igrill.

Cool thing is that the smoke probes work with the igrill, so when you need replacement igrill probes, try smoke probes.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:07:32 AM by ClubChapin »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 04:55:29 PM »
Another annoyance with the smoke gateway: alarms do not transfer to the app. They need to be set in the app. Once set in the app they transfer to another instance of the app. They can be different than the alarm values on the smoke base unit.

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 05:55:37 PM »
Another annoyance with the smoke gateway: alarms do not transfer to the app. They need to be set in the app. Once set in the app they transfer to another instance of the app. They can be different than the alarm values on the smoke base unit.
Ya that's kind of a pain I guess you just set your alarms on the base way above what u want so they don't go off and just use the one on the app when your using wireless

BBQ to live live to BBQ

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 08:47:47 PM »
Seems to me that, at the ask for the gateway, the TxD'r and RcV'r and the Gateway ought to be in total sync.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 08:50:17 PM »
Seems to me that, at the ask for the gateway, the TxD'r and RcV'r and the Gateway ought to be in total sync.

SJ

I'm sure they will get there with and update of the app, or cloud infrastructure, or firmware update of the gateway itself.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 11:14:52 PM »
I think I'll wait for ver 2.0 of the S/W.   I love the Smoke just the way it is except for the size of the probe wire junction.  I'm still working on a solution for feeding two of the Smoke probes through a lamp nipple in the sides of my kettle.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

PorkPatrol

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 05:03:45 AM »
I have it and love it. I have been in communication with Thermoworks though for a few ideas:

I would like the ability to timestamp events through the app. Like vent status, amount of fuel/when added. Time wrapped. Time basted. Etc.

I would also love for the app to pull from local weather data. Ie humidity, temp and wind.

The app has to just be made more user friendly. The type of people who would buy this setup are interested in recording a whole lot more than just pit temp and food temp. I’d like this to be a total replacement for my notebook.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 05:08:50 AM »

I have it and love it. I have been in communication with Thermoworks though for a few ideas:

I would like the ability to timestamp events through the app. Like vent status, amount of fuel/when added. Time wrapped. Time basted. Etc.

I would also love for the app to pull from local weather data. Ie humidity, temp and wind.

The app has to just be made more user friendly. The type of people who would buy this setup are interested in recording a whole lot more than just pit temp and food temp. I’d like this to be a total replacement for my notebook.

Good ideas. If thermoworks doesn’t want to expand app, it would be great if they would allow 3rd party apps to read their signal.

They have many relationships with other vendors, lots of good partner content online, so perhaps this could be in the future.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

PorkPatrol

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 05:24:53 AM »

Good ideas. If thermoworks doesn’t want to expand app, it would be great if they would allow 3rd party apps to read their signal.

They have many relationships with other vendors, lots of good partner content online, so perhaps this could be in the future.

That’s a great point. One of the guys on their product development team stated he received the input and they were currently working on improving the app. I really hope they do. It would be a shame if after being in excess of $180 in, all you could do is log temps.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2020, 02:06:54 AM »
Hello fellas, it's been a while.  Anyone want to comment on the latest firmware update for the Smoke Gateway?  It's on sale right now but don't want to get it if it's garbage.  Can anyone that still uses it chime in and tag me?  TIA!

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke-Gateway

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2020, 09:17:01 AM »
That’s tempting at that price. All I would like is to know what the temp is when away from home. It’s sounds like it’s always been able to do that.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »
Anyone want to comment on the latest firmware update for the Smoke Gateway?

@captjoe06

I have an original Smoke, as well as an original Smoke Gateway, with updated firmware. I needed to upgrade to the latest version of the App, for my iPhone, and all is well. Last cook, an 8lb Pork Shoulder, I did not have any issues whatsoever. I recommend the Gateway, if you already have the Smoke. I have both, but am considering the Signals, just because  ;D

Jason

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2020, 11:19:54 AM »
All I would like is to know what the temp is when away from home. It’s sounds like it’s always been able to do that.

That is the main reason I purchased the Gateway. It's nice to be able to run to the store and keep an eye on temps.

Jason