Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermoworks smoke Wi-Fi gateway finally released  (Read 4053 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Thermoworks smoke Wi-Fi gateway finally released
« on: August 26, 2017, 04:50:29 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Thermoworks smoke Wi-Fi gateway finally released
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 05:05:30 PM »
Can’t wait to hear how this works! Hopefully it makes the smoke that much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Dcloin

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 05:24:25 PM »
Ordered mine this morning. Can't wait to give it a try.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 05:45:10 PM »
This is great news although I'm a bit puzzled by the price. I love my smoke but wasn't expecting the wifi addin to cost nearly as much as the main unit itself.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 07:37:57 PM »

This is great news although I'm a bit puzzled by the price. I love my smoke but wasn't expecting the wifi addin to cost nearly as much as the main unit itself.

Yeah, wondering how that will pan out. Won’t sell very many at this price point. Especially when you can get an open box smoke for $76.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Thermoworks smoke Wi-Fi gateway finally released
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 06:16:03 AM »

Yeah, wondering how that will pan out. Won’t sell very many at this price point. Especially when you can get an open box smoke for $76.

It's higher than I would like (what isn't right).

I think $189 all in for a thermoworks wifi thermometer is pretty consistent with their pricing, I think the breakdown is what makes it seem steep. I will say it seems like the gateway release was held back a few months so hopefully they got all the bugs out before releasing.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 07:09:42 AM »
Wow, yeah a little steep for me right now. What's neat is that you should be able to log & graph your temperatures with the app. I'll probably eventually add it to my smoke. Maybe a Christmas gift idea..
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 09:02:40 AM »

Wow, yeah a little steep for me right now. What's neat is that you should be able to log & graph your temperatures with the app. I'll probably eventually add it to my smoke. Maybe a Christmas gift idea..

Yeah, just got smoke 3 weeks ago on a 15% off sale. Hoping for another sale before I order the wifi.

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 01:10:16 PM »
I ordered it.  Hopefully it will improve my reception range.

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 06:17:50 AM »
Ya I'd like to hear how it works I have the smoke and was hoping the cost of the gateway would be a bit lower. I can get the Igrill 2 that has the capacity of 4 probes and will hook up to my phone and graph temps for $86 as far as build quality and accuracy I have no idea how well made the igrill 2 is but the whole thing is about the same price as just the gateway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQ to live live to BBQ

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »
Ya I'd like to hear how it works I have the smoke and was hoping the cost of the gateway would be a bit lower. I can get the Igrill 2 that has the capacity of 4 probes and will hook up to my phone and graph temps for $86 as far as build quality and accuracy I have no idea how well made the igrill 2 is but the whole thing is about the same price as just the gateway

The iGrill uses bluetooth and when you phone is not present, it is not logging.

I presume the Smoke Gateway will log to the cloud and log without gaps.  It should work and be able to be monitored when you run out for more beer or meat.

I've got the iGrill2 and don't like it.  the temp probes do not measure close to each other and there is no way to calibrate them.  I also have an iGrill mini that I actually do like.  I use it on the rotisserie.  Wish there was a Smoke product for the roti.  The Meater should work well for the Roti I guess.

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 04:31:21 PM »

The iGrill uses bluetooth and when you phone is not present, it is not logging.

I presume the Smoke Gateway will log to the cloud and log without gaps.  It should work and be able to be monitored when you run out for more beer or meat.

I've got the iGrill2 and don't like it.  the temp probes do not measure close to each other and there is no way to calibrate them.  I also have an iGrill mini that I actually do like.  I use it on the rotisserie.  Wish there was a Smoke product for the roti.  The Meater should work well for the Roti I guess.
Thanks for the info on the igrill 2 sounds like the thermoworks is better quality so probably worth the extra money for the wireless connection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQ to live live to BBQ

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 01:10:13 PM »
Thanks for the info on the igrill 2 sounds like the thermoworks is better quality so probably worth the extra money for the wireless connection

I think they both have their place.  I have both we'll see which is better in the long haul. 

I received my smoke gateway today.  it seems to work well.  Hope to cook with it this weekend. 

This is my three initial criticisms of the Smoke Gateway:

It would be nice to be able to configure the Smoke from the app.  It is only a monitoring tool.

The app does not indicate when the connection to the base is lost, like the remote does.

It would be nice if the gateway charged with a micro-usb, like most phones and other devices do, rather than the mini-usb that it uses.  Everyone seems to have the micro-usb cables, but the mini-usb are harder to find.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »

I think they both have their place.  I have both we'll see which is better in the long haul. 

I received my smoke gateway today.  it seems to work well.  Hope to cook with it this weekend. 

This is my three initial criticisms of the Smoke Gateway:

It would be nice to be able to configure the Smoke from the app.  It is only a monitoring tool.

The app does not indicate when the connection to the base is lost, like the remote does.

It would be nice if the gateway charged with a micro-usb, like most phones and other devices do, rather than the mini-usb that it uses.  Everyone seems to have the micro-usb cables, but the mini-usb are harder to find.

Mini is an odd choice, the whole world is micro now...

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 01:53:27 PM »
Just ordered, price seems a little high but I couldn't pass it up.
May The Smoke Be With You!