Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaning the kettle  (Read 998 times)

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
Cleaning the kettle
« on: August 26, 2017, 11:20:27 AM »
While i have seen some amazing cleaning jobs here on WKC forums, i have always wondered:

Has anyone just said screw it, clean the grate and fire their latest find up? Case in point, this guy was a side of the road find by a co-worker. Havent really had a moment to clean him up, so i just scrubbed the grate and cooked. Im interested to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
Re: Cleaning the kettle
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 12:04:04 PM »
That's literally all I EVER do....[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I'm in awe at how well you guys treat your kettles.  As much as l love mine, I doubt the time invested in my entire collection equals what some of you have in only one.  Perhaps is because mine are garage-kept(I'm in Chicago), but the most they ever need is a good scraping after a messy cook.

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 12:26:26 PM »
I sometimes put a chimney of charcoal in it and put the lid on it and let it burn completely out.  Then scrape the grate and cook.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 12:29:51 PM »
I sometimes put a chimney of charcoal in it and put the lid on it and let it burn completely out.  Then scrape the grate and cook.

This and I hit the lid and bowl with steel wool and Dawn just to shine them up. If it's really gunked up I'll use a razor blade but I have never taken them to factory shine. I'll cook on it so what's the point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 01:52:37 PM »
For the most part all of my grills were pretty much emptied out and cooked on without any heavy cleaning. I have done a thorough cleaning on my 77 faded black once. I do empty the ash and clean them up minimally between cooks normally.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner