Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Think this one will clean up?  (Read 2981 times)

Cellar2ful

Think this one will clean up?
« on: August 19, 2017, 09:05:41 PM »

Last year I found this kettle on the beach of a beach house we rented last year. 

We rented the same beach house this year and this is what it looks like after being used as a fire pit for one year.

Now this is a color change.

Kinda creepy as it looked like it was getting ready to have a thermal nuclear meltdown.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Think this one will clean up?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 09:21:58 PM »
Screw the handles back on a hammer it and she'll cook again...add a couple zavod handles and you'll hardly notice the lid is missing...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 09:53:56 PM »
Looks like a great get away... man oh man if that kettle could talk.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 03:14:01 AM »
Wow. Poor thing. It might be beyond resto... :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 05:34:39 AM »
You can still cook with it!

Marshmallows at least...
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 05:53:26 AM »
Kind of interesting that the bowl straps are still attached and holding a grate! I love how it's glowing on the bottom. That's neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 05:59:33 AM »
Time to call KPS ( Kettle Protective Services ) for kettle abuse!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
that's a camp stove now

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 11:44:34 AM »
Never seen one that beat up... holy shit.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 01:23:22 PM »
You can still cook with it!

Marshmallows at least...

That is exactly what we cooked on it. 4 nights of S'mores. I probably could have cooked foil wrapped baked potatoes on the coals in about 5-10 minutes.   

Kind of interesting that the bowl straps are still attached and holding a grate! I love how it's glowing on the bottom. That's neat.

The morning after the first fire, I looked in the bowl and thought I had completely melted the charcoal grate. It was beneath all the ashes and had sagged from the heat into the contour of the bottom of the bowl. Pulled it out, stepped on it and it straightened right out.  Made it easier for starting the fire.  Every morning I had to go through the same routine of straightening the charcoal grate.

The rental house also had a black Weber kettle on the deck to use for BBQing.  The first night when we went to bed, I had the bright idea of placing the lid from that kettle over the fire pit to extinguish the fire.  Within a couple of minutes I started hearing the lid making these terrible creaking and tinging sounds. The lid had a older wooden handle so I was able to grab it and pull it off without burning myself but the radiant heat from that lid was unbelievable. I checked it in the morning and luckily, could not find any visible crazing or damage to the porcelain of the lid. Funny thing was, I could not duplicate that orange glow on the bowl bottom any of the other three nights I had fires. I even went so far as to empty the ashes to replicate the first nights fire.  No luck. I remember a thread by @Darko trying to get a kettle bowl glowing.  Now having seen one in person, I can see why he was trying to replicate it. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 02:39:51 AM »
It does look cool!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 03:07:21 AM »
"man oh man if that kettle could talk"

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

It would said ouch!, ouch!, ouch!, cut that out you sh@thead! I'm a grill not a bonfire pit. 😂 Buuuuut that glow if cool
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:10:22 AM by Shoestringshop »
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Merkong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 07:25:28 AM »
Melt it down and start over.
"You're hungry? I'll fire up the grills..."