Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: vortex low and slow-is there such a thing  (Read 4456 times)

WMT

• WKC Brave
Re: vortex low and slow-is there such a thing
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 04:03:40 PM »
Good to know, thanks

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 05:45:57 PM »
The main benefit of using the V when using the snake method is that a roast like a pork butt has no direct heat hitting it. You can get similar results from putting a half pan in the center but it does not reach to the cooking grate. This angle pushes the direct heat away from center. If ya have it, try it. It's basically a deflector while using the snake method
I have done the same thing except I put either parchment paper or aluminum foil down under the small end of the vortex

Sent From My Weber Seeking Samsung

This is a GREAT plan...Covering the lower grate with foil to direct the air flow in the right direction is a great tip...When I'm using it wide side up and the fire is around the "V" I place an aluminum pin pan inside the "V"...A great fit and does a great job of directing the air to the fire...

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 05:44:33 AM »
The main benefit of using the V when using the snake method is that a roast like a pork butt has no direct heat hitting it. You can get similar results from putting a half pan in the center but it does not reach to the cooking grate. This angle pushes the direct heat away from center. If ya have it, try it. It's basically a deflector while using the snake method
I have done the same thing except I put either parchment paper or aluminum foil down under the small end of the vortex

Sent From My Weber Seeking Samsung

This is a GREAT plan...Covering the lower grate with foil to direct the air flow in the right direction is a great tip...When I'm using it wide side up and the fire is around the "V" I place an aluminum pin pan inside the "V"...A great fit and does a great job of directing the air to the fire...

When I do the wide side up, I use the pie pan method also. Works grate!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

kemmons

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 02:58:19 PM »
Unless I'm running a snake I cook using the Vortex method.  1/8 cents open top and bottom run about 325 for a few hours.  Works good for me and allows all different techniques.  A fire is a fire in a kettle, just use your vents

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Pat G

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 05:17:53 PM »
I followed the directions from the website and made some pulled pork, worked like a charm.

Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke