Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Briquettes: Minion Method in a WSM?  (Read 3525 times)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Weber Briquettes: Minion Method in a WSM?
« on: August 14, 2017, 12:22:20 PM »
Has anyone tried the Minion Method with Weber Briquettes in a WSM?

If so, how did it work? Better or worse than KBB, Stubbs, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Briquettes: Minion Method in a WSM?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 04:17:19 PM »
Debating doing it this weekend. Not sure though. I have so much kbb to use up, might just use what I normally use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »
See I am in the same boat. I have about 8 bags of KBB left and it works, but when it's gone I'll probably stick to Stubbs from here on out. I just like Stubbs better.

My local Target  still has Weber Briquettes on clearance. If they work well for the Minion, I'd buy the rest. I just know they are larger and a little more dense. Hence why I asked if anyone had tried it?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 07:44:48 PM »
Idk. My first go with the Weber stuff will be a snake and some St Louis ribs this weekend.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 07:57:03 PM »
I did 2 hanging racks of ribs on my 18 WSM using the Weber charcoal this weekend. Charcoal ring was slightly less than full. When the ribs were done, I have at about 1/2 of the charcoal still left to reuse. Some of the charcoal was not even touched. Cook time was about 3 hours.

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 09:11:48 PM »
I used the minion method last weekend in my WSM with Weber charcoal...  I used 4# of coal in the bottom, dumped 18 lit into a "pocket" I made off to the side. It ran 225-250 for 9 HOURS!!!  and still had some heat left.. I did 10# of pork cushion meat and it was delish!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 09:22:10 AM »
I used the minion method last weekend in my WSM with Weber charcoal...  I used 4# of coal in the bottom, dumped 18 lit into a "pocket" I made off to the side. It ran 225-250 for 9 HOURS!!!  and still had some heat left.. I did 10# of pork cushion meat and it was delish!!
Wow. Great results.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 11:04:29 AM »
@iCARRY , i was pretty impressed... after buying some of the coshell when it was marked down this was a happy result, I hated that coconut stuff... glad I finally went through it. I really went out on a limb with the Weber coal, bought 15 bags...LOL
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 01:15:23 PM »
@varekai,

So it sounds like it was successful? Thanks for confirming it works well!

How do you like it for the Minion compared to other brands?

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 01:25:30 PM »
@Mike in Roseville , the only other coal I use is KBB... the coshell was what I call "sparkely", it just constantly put off little sparks of embers, a lot like royal oak lump does, where I live thats NOT a good thing to happen, dry brush all around...neighbors would be upset if I caused a fire, LOL

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »
Yes and it burns forever and kept steady temps. I was very impressed and glad I scored 16 bags when it was on sale.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 04:43:31 PM »
@wessonjb

Sweet! I guess i'll have to see if I can get more on my next Target run. Stubbs is really my favorite for the WSM, but if they work well I guess I will get some more.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »
Alas my local Target sold all the remaining bags of Weber Briquettes in the past day or so. I guess I'll wait for Stubbs to go on sale at the end of the month.

93_confirmed

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »
Count me as another satisfied customer. I've been using Stubb's religiously for many years and after using Weber twice in my WSM this month, I won''t go back. I filled the ring for the minion, ran it at 250 for about 10-12 hours and still had unlit briquettes leftover. Impressive!
I'm new to grilling so go easy on me.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 12:02:54 PM »
This is becoming a Zombie thread..   FWIW...All the testing done at Weber, at least when I was there, was done with Kingsford and nothing else.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.