Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red One Touch PLus ->>>>>> Master Touch  (Read 4427 times)

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
Red One Touch PLus ->>>>>> Master Touch
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:34:16 AM »
With the help of my friend Fo Sizzle,  I picked up this Red OT+ this weekend.  It looks pretty good without much work.  It has a strange looking finish.  You can see some small black specs.  I thought they were from cooking. They would not come off with 0000 steel wool.

There is dent under one handle attachment points. Probably a normal spot when the lid gets dropped on the handle.

Does the rubber malllet trick work without causing more damage ?

It is missing the ash pan and the thermometer.  I would like to upgrade it to a Master Touch with the ash can.  I know I need that bar and older ring. Has anyone bought those parts from ereplacements.com or elsewhere ?

So here's the M(1990) code One Touch Plus after cleaning.  I borrowed the thermometer from my performer. the handles had some big cracks. I glued and clamped them. Then, sanded, stained and sealed them.  They still look rough.  Definitely a candidate for some new handles from you know who.  :D

Both bail attachments are chipped. BTW, when I asked the seller if the lid holder was bent,  he said what lid holder.  We just set the lid on table.  He tried it out and said that was the first time he had used it.  ???

The triangle is the cleanest of my kettles.

I think I may take of the front leg and run some needle nose plier inside to remove this dent.

Overall this is a nice Red Kettle for $30.00.  It did include a bag of mesquite charcoal and really tall chimney.  You can't have too many chimneys.

I  am not sure what they cooked in this kettle. I has a funky smell inside.  I have cleaned the inside a bit.  I have a brand new hinged cooking grate which I may drop in this kettle.  Although the old grates sure are heavy duty.  Do you think this would have had a an upgraded grate ??

Thanks for the heads up Fo Sizzle. Not sure how I missed this during my continuous CL scanning.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:02:25 PM by javahog2002 »
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

• WKC Brave
Red One Touch PLus
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 05:45:29 AM »
Looks purdy!!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Red One Touch PLus
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 06:06:26 AM »
Look great. I have a Red Head that has the black speckles too. Not a two tone and the Red appears a little darker than my two tone.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 06:07:02 AM »
Hi Javahog. Ereplacementparts.com does not stock the bar & older ring that you're referring to, unfortunately. I have the ring & bar on my N redhead SS performer that need to be replaced. Currently the ring is held in place w/ some SS wire wrapped through the leg posts.  You can definitely get the bail attachments from that site.  I have  a few black specs on my lid, also.  On mine, it looks like they were the result of my FIL (the original owner) popping out a dent (the result was the porcelain chipping & the black specs).  Looks like a great find...  Congrats!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:26:50 AM »
Great score Java! Their comi'n out of the woodwork.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Red One Touch PLus
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 07:04:20 AM »
Awesome score!! Even if you can't get ahold of the old style bar and ring, you can still use a modern gold can and use hose clamps on the leg sockets to hold it in place. Chances are the sockets wont line up to insert the tabs in place, The hose clamp method works like a charm on the older kettles in these cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 07:45:37 AM »
you can also use a dremel to cut the notches so the tabs lock into the leg sockets

I've done this a couple times now

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 12:27:50 PM »
Nice Redhead! 8)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 05:20:03 PM »
That's a sweet find at a great price, Java!  Gorgeous. 

Craig and Troy are wise.  I've seen a few folks selling homemade brackets, but you need an old style ash can ring to go with them in any case.  I would go with the hose clamp attachment method-- that's what I did with my K OT+.  A new ash can assembly is about 30 bucks direct from Weber. 
One of the charcoal people.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 07:25:04 PM »
Awesome score!! Even if you can't get ahold of the old style bar and ring, you can still use a modern gold can and use hose clamps on the leg sockets to hold it in place. Chances are the sockets wont line up to insert the tabs in place, The hose clamp method works like a charm on the older kettles in these cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

So do the tabs from the ring rest on tighting bolt of the hose clamps?

So I pulled the ring from my SS performer and it lines up with the leg sockets.  The tabs don't snap in since the slots on the leg sockets  are not in the right place.  Called Weber and they will send the whole ash can assembly for $30.00 including shipping. So I just need to get 3 hose clamps to go around the log sockets to hold the ring and I would be good to go.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:06:32 AM by javahog2002 »

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 10:40:07 AM »
Right on, Java.  Before the era of the modern ash can, Weber installed the leg sockets without any concern about their orientation.  Now they make sure there is an open slot for the ash can ring tab to insert into.  Sometimes you can get lucky and find a bowl that just happens to work, but that's pretty unlikely. 

I learned the technique from Brian, who told me to take my new ash can ring, and bend the tab *in* so the hose clamp will catch it.  So it gets bent 180 degrees from it's factory position.  Then wrap Stainless Steel (!!) hose clamps around it and tighten away.  For an even cleaner look, you can turn the hose clamps so that the screw part is hidden inside the ash can ring.  It's harder to work with that way, but comes out much cleaner.  Use a long screwdriver to reach in through the holes on the side of the ash can ring.  (I'd post a photo, but my main computer is in the shop.)

Other folks prefer to cut a slot into the leg socket, or to use a small screw to attach it.  Which is certainly an even cleaner look than the hose clamp.  I used the hose clamps because they won't damage the finish or invite any rust, and they don't look too bad to me.   
One of the charcoal people.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »
Pretty much everything Mike just said is correct! I like the hose clamp method because it works, and I dont trust myself yet to cut into a leg socket with a Dremel w/o having it go wrong. I did the same "turn the screw side inside" method.... very clean looking and I think it blends in.

Heres a pic of one on my black 2012 OTS turned Gold. (Hose clamps on a 2012 kettle? Yes because I had already broken off the tabs when it was on my older red behind it)

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »
So I borrowed the ash can from my 1996 Blue Performer and the vent handle.

Here's my first Master Touch.   Ready for some weekend action after the rest of the snow melts.  :D

Old school ash can with the Red graphic:

Vent handle.  Did the Master Touch have one of these ?

Do not tell me the ash can handles are on the wrong side.  >:( >:(

Cheers and Beers,
Tracy
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:00:11 PM by javahog2002 »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 06:42:01 PM »
Nice! I don't recall the MT's had the vent handles, but I put one on my pseudo gold. I moved it to my black kettle when I moved the can over from the red.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:48:24 PM by Craig »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 06:46:19 PM »
Do not tell me the ash can handles are on the wrong side.  >:( >:(
Actually, as a Master Touch, the side you have it on is correct to that model. The OTG has them on the other side. In the grand scheme of things, either side works.  ;)