Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grommet Options  (Read 11523 times)

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
Re: Grommet Options
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 05:13:24 AM »
Here is my solution...

Just be careful tightening the collar on the insert.  If it is too tight is will crush the insert.  I can get both probes in as long as they go in one at a time.  I use a Maverick.
To avoid crushing the insert, put the appropriate size drill bit inside it before tightening the set screw.

Prof.

• WKC Ranger
    • WeBBQ
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 12:00:15 PM »

I use ProQ Gromlet for thrometer probes...cheaper and Easy to install

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
BBQ are never enough

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
Grommet Options
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 07:28:44 PM »
The slot on the WSM works really good for me. It’s very easy and quick to take the probes in and out when foiling food or messing with the lower shelf. The only problem with the slot is it’s not air tight. Not a big deal for me except when shutting down the bbq. If you could take the Weber grommet material and redesign it where it can slide into the slot and make a straight slit into it where the probe wires can just lift in and out with a tight fit, I think that would be the best way to use probes on the WSM. It’ll look nice and keep the slot air tight like the weber grommet does. Just need someone to manufacture the grommet slot thing for the slot. It could also work on any size Kettle. I’ll buy one if anyone makes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:31:50 PM by foshizzle »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 08:07:12 PM »
... If you could take the Weber grommet material and redesign it where it can slide into the slot and make a straight slit into it where the probe wires can just lift in and out with a tight fit...

Google some phrase like "slot silicone gasket" and you'll find door and window gaskets. Some may even be silicone. An Xacto knife might cut one down to do what you want.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Antisven84

• WKC Brave
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »
The proq eyelets are crap, I used them I. My stacker and they busted too easily with my maverick hybrid probes

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 02:15:58 PM »
I've never had a problem just running the cord over the bowl edge than just sitting the lid on carefully. My thermo is 5 yrs old and still no issues.

Paul Isa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2017, 06:16:21 PM »
Another question:  Will the Thermoworks Smoke probe fit into the WSM grommet?  If so, what is the size of the hole drilled into the smoker/grill?

tmartin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2017, 06:51:43 AM »
I have no problems getting both Smoke probes through the WSM grommet.

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2017, 07:19:53 AM »
"delete"
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:46:24 AM by Paul S »
RetireCheapJC says: There's always an option.

Paul Isa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2017, 06:04:52 PM »
Thanks tmartin, good to know they will fit.  Now to purchase some grommets.

Just to clarify my earlier reply.  I have three older WSMs which do not have the newer grommet set up.  I want to put the new grommets on the older smokers; what size hole do I drill into the smoker wall?

randybill

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2017, 12:17:33 PM »
just ordered a wsm grommet.  wanted a factory looking part on my performer.   

seems like best place to install is in the back?  ideas?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:13:07 PM by randybill »
2014 black 22.5 performer silver, tel tru thermometer, nomex lid gasket, stainless charcoal grate and weber whitewalls.

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2017, 08:35:46 PM »
Hey randybill,
I've also gotten the grommet but undecided where I'd want install it. Would you post pics of your finish mod? I'm not keen on the "preformer" models and have a premium. It seems the table takes up one side and the Lid bale take up the other side of the bowl. And I guess one would want to install the grommet opposite the fire, idk.
Thanks!
RetireCheapJC says: There's always an option.

Hinds90

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2017, 09:08:23 AM »
Trying to decide between the cable gland and weber grommet. I'm using my kettle with a stacker and charcoal basket so I'm curious if either of these can survive high temps. I plan to place one on the lid and one on the base of the kettle which will be near the charcoal basket. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:22:47 AM by Hinds90 »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2017, 10:10:25 AM »
Silicone is typically safe up to about 500 degrees, never a realistic danger for a WSM's or stacker's central section.

Anything kettle-related and I'd be more inclined to use a metal "grommet"/hole.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2017, 10:30:11 AM »

Silicone is typically safe up to about 500 degrees, never a realistic danger for a WSM's or stacker's central section.

Anything kettle-related and I'd be more inclined to use a metal "grommet"/hole.

I agree. Go metal if this on a kettle.