Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Razor Burn  (Read 3784 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Kettle Razor Burn
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »
I could see how a nicked up blade could potentially cause damage

I think moving forward I will continue to suggest using a razor, but emphasize care and new blades.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 06:39:56 PM »
Change blades more frequently than you think you should and keep a low angle of approach. And I agree, no need to go balls deep on a cooker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 07:33:14 PM »
Itll be interesting to see how many more grills are wrecked by rounded razors....

Damn shame so many grills have had the piss scratched out of them, especially the ones that were barely dirty and never needed to be razor rashed & scoured to begin with.

Damn, what you guys are doing with your razor blades?? I have cleaned and resto'd probably 100+ kettles and never had issues with scratching. Am I careful? Of course... but that's just common sense.

Unless you are holding it at too steep of an angle or dry scraping the shit outta it I'm rather baffled by this?

Tools don't do damage to your kettles.. it's the inexperience of the tool user and lack of for thought that causes damage.

BINGO!

@vwengguy great suggestion on the rounded blades as that's the one bit that could potentially dig in - thanks [emoji106]

I agree 100%  Never hurt a grill with a razor.. And at $15 a box, I'll stick to my Harbor Freight ones at $2 a box
I also don't use a tool to hold a blade, its hard to get the correct angle.
The only nicks I get are on my fingers!
 8)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:34:46 PM by Heyjude »
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 07:43:49 PM »
Razor blades can scratch the porcelain. Usually its because they are dull, nicked, or at the wrong angle. Those scratch looking things in Matt's picks are minute residue left over after the scrape that can be removed with soap and 0000 steel wool.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 12:02:04 AM »
A can of Easy Off eliminates all the "razor rash" and is so much faster. Now the tree huggers will comment,,,,,,,,,,,,

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2017, 04:37:54 AM »
A can of Easy Off eliminates all the "razor rash" and is so much faster. Now the tree huggers will comment,,,,,,,,,,,,

I can't speak for everyone, but I always use Easy Off to clean my used razor blades before resharpening them to use on the next kettle.

If you think razors damage the porcelain, don't use them. I've personally never had a museum quality kettle and don't think I ever will.

I'll use razors to clean them up so the next user feels like they've got a nice piece of equipment. If that means the kettle will only last them 20 years instead of 30, then they've still gotten 20 years they wouldn't have otherwise. Plus Weber gets to sell another kettle in 20 years - it's a win win win situation.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2017, 05:57:13 AM »

Easy off doesn't remove creosote.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2017, 11:40:58 AM »

I used to swear by the Easy off, but it ends up being more work and it takes even longer than razor blades.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2017, 12:18:15 PM »
I buy about 6 cans of oven cleaner at a time. I just hit the inside of the kettle every time I walk by it for 2 - 7 days. By that time, 90% comes off with a hose. The rest comes off easily with a blade or steel wool. I'm in no rush though.  Never had a problem with scratches from a blade though.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:23:01 PM by AZ Monsoon »