Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Razor Burn  (Read 3781 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Kettle Razor Burn
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 01:56:23 PM »
Yeah, I've never had a problem with razor blades either.
I scrape and steel wool with some dish soap

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 01:59:40 PM »
What is going on here?

I've never heard of razor damage.
Out of every method I've tried on more grills than I care to admit... the razor scraper has been:
- absolutely, hands down the best tool for the job
- never ever caused damage to anything other than my own flesh

Why did the OP start the thread if a razor never damaged a grill?
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 02:03:32 PM »
What is going on here?

I've never heard of razor damage.
Out of every method I've tried on more grills than I care to admit... the razor scraper has been:
- absolutely, hands down the best tool for the job
- never ever caused damage to anything other than my own flesh

Why did the OP start the thread if a razor never damaged a grill?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking for clarification.
This is literally the first I've ever heard of damage to a kettle (older than 1958) due to razor scraping.

Is there evidence of this anywhere?

jdorn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 02:23:36 PM »
If you are damaging kettles with a razor, you are doing it wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 02:45:44 PM »
I already pointed out one thread but its not a problem digging up others.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/birth-year-yellow-clean-up/msg312680/#msg312680

For the record Im not trying to defame or demoralize anyone, unlike Matt's quote, I'm just pointing out whats obvious to me.

Its a problem I see getting worse as time rolls on and if no one says anything about it then the respect part might as well be in the shitter.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

SixZeroFour

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 02:55:54 PM »
lol ?

Dude you came in here all ranting and raving about razor damage as if people were destroying kettles left right and center. I simply responded with my own opinion on the matter and apparently that was somehow demoralizing to you?? And then you post a link to my resto post saying that its all scratched up but I'm the one out to "defame" people? haha all good man. Have yourself a great night.

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 03:00:05 PM »
I already pointed out one thread but its not a problem digging up others.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/birth-year-yellow-clean-up/msg312680/#msg312680

For the record Im not trying to defame or demoralize anyone, unlike Matt's quote, I'm just pointing out whats obvious to me.

Its a problem I see getting worse as time rolls on and if no one says anything about it then the respect part might as well be in the shitter.

With all due respect, I don't see the razor rash issue with that yellow.
I see some scratches inside the lid. I see you calling them out.
I don't see anywhere that identifies the scratches as coming from a razor.

Can we keep the other nonsense out of the discussion? If razors are a problem, let's get the evidence out on the table and find a better way.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 03:03:18 PM »
From the above thread (comment on that yellow) there does appear to be some faint scratches in the porcelain. Hmmm?

I have personally never scratched one...but always hold the blade flat/45 when scraping.

Sounds like something for WKC "Mythbusters." Maybe time for an experiment? @troy what do you think?

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Kettle Razor Burn
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 03:05:42 PM »
Under the assumption that razors can cause damage, I don't see why these would help.

These blades still have a point where the sharp edge meets the curve which seems like it would create the same effect as a traditional blade. Maybe the smaller width of the sharp portion of the blade lets it fit the contour of the bowl better??

Wanted: Burgundy 18"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 03:06:22 PM »
Another thing that could be happening here is that dull razor blades are being used. I generally use 6-8 blades per kettle because hard buildup will take the edge off the blade in as little as 1/4 of the bowl. If the blade edge is beat up enough then yes you probably could scratch it. There are also cheap razors out there that will dull even faster than that... I like the Stanley brand blades you can find at HD.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 03:09:02 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 03:10:03 PM »
From the above thread (comment on that yellow) there does appear to be some faint scratches in the porcelain. Hmmm?

I have personally never scratched one...but always hold the blade flat/45 when scraping.

Sounds like something for WKC "Mythbusters." Maybe time for an experiment? @Troy what do you think?

@crumbsnatcher can you tell us more about those scratches? Were those self-inflicted? (it's ok, we won't judge. I once knocked over a yellow onto the concrete)

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
Kettle Razor Burn
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »
Perhaps I goofed when I razored this lid?  I'm not sure. I've cleaned many and never scratched any porcelain before. The lid was pretty  dirty so I couldn't tell you if I caused those scratches or there were there previously. Really didn't noticed it until it was pointed out to me in the picture. Those scratches are hairline and are very light.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 03:33:30 PM by crumbsnatcher »

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 03:33:55 PM »
Perhaps I goofed when I razored this lid?  I'm. It sure. I've cleaned many and never scratched any porcelain before. The lid was pretty  dirty so I couldn't tell you if I caused those scratches or there were there previously. Really didn't noticed it until it was pointed out to me in the picture. Those scratches are hairline and are very light.

Thank you.
I don't think your razor scratched your grill.

jdorn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 04:01:57 PM »
Hell Fire Grill, what's your solution then? Its easy to call someone out, but what's a better way? Your infinite knowledge of a better answer to cleaning our kettles is wanted... if it is truly better... if so, I'll be the first to utilize it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2017, 04:30:45 PM »
@crumbsnatcher

Thanks for stepping up & clarifying that.

Six is right about the dull razors. The way I see it is, as the edge gets used it develops tiny serrations.  When it goes over a broken surface, like the leg socket area thats frequently pooched in, the blade gets nicks & burrs, then dragged all over hell & back. All that coupled with the squared corner of the traditional style blades.

Ya I know some of you are WTFing me over big dealing something that may be invisible to you, thats ok.

But the point is --In My Opinion-- when the shiney/polished surface gets scratched or dulled it opens the finish up to degradation & rust, especially in areas that hold ashes.

I dont have infinite knowledge but if you wana be condescending we can do that @jdorn.

No more razors is my suggestion for now.