Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Razor Burn  (Read 3783 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Kettle Razor Burn
« on: August 11, 2017, 06:06:42 AM »
TO BE USED ON THE INSIDE OF THE KETTLE ONLY ! IF NOTHING ELSE WORKS !

Just my little bit of help to prevent kettle razor burn or kettle rash.
I know a standard way to clean a crusty kettle is to use a razor at a very low angle and if you are handy this works great. But you can also do damage at the same time if your not super careful.
This is what I use and it works great for me.

I get these from Germany but I did some google'n and see that there is a company in Ohio called American Cutting Edge that also makes them. The trick to this type razor is the rounded corners, or lack of corners.
Using this type of razor I have never seen razor scratches in my kettles.
Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:41:14 PM by vwengguy »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Kettle Razor Burn
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 06:09:08 AM »
Thanks for the all around good tip
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 06:16:59 AM »
Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 07:07:28 AM »
Itll be interesting to see how many more grills are wrecked by rounded razors....

Damn shame so many grills have had the piss scratched out of them, especially the ones that were barely dirty and never needed to be razor rashed & scoured to begin with.

What would really be interesting, to me, is too see a magnified shot of the damage done and compare it to brand new. I think what we'll see is the equivalent of using a serrated razor due to the micro nicks & chips caused by scrapeing over anything more durable than the razor's edge.

Some of the bullshit I'v seen with the razors around here is absolute dis-Respect.

The only thing that bothers me more about some of the pseudo RRRs is when concrete work surfaces are used to "restore & respect" a grill....when theres a grass, wood, plastic surface only a few feet from the recked grill.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:13:40 AM by Hell Fire Grill »
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 07:21:39 AM »
Sorry if you think I was promoting round razors as the new wonder cleaner that can do no harm.
My only suggestion was " there is something better out there " if you want to razor your kettle.
Tools don't do damage to your kettles.. it's the inexperience of the tool user and lack of for thought that causes damage.
I have used them for years (when needed) and not had a problem when used carefully.
I have also had kettles that looked like the last owner used a chain saw to clean it, so I know what it looks like and what causes it.
I'm sorry that you feel the need to chuck this info into your "BullShit" bucket.
No Dis-Respect intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Kettle Razor Burn
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 07:35:19 AM »
I'm no expert but I have razored the inside of a couple kettles and I wouldn't do it again if I plan on cooking with it. One use and all effort is undone. I would want to razor or try other means to get a kettle squeaky clean if it was going to be a looker only.

I don't have any looker only kettles. All of my grills I've been getting lately get a quick scrape with a plastic scraper and that's it.

I don't blame anyone for trying to get a kettle squeaky clean if they want. I have suspected that razor scraping does put micro abrasions in the surface, but again, it doesn't really matter if it's a cooker.

Just an opinion from a cooker not a collector.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:36:55 AM by HoosierKettle »

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 07:52:16 AM »
Itll be interesting to see how many more grills are wrecked by rounded razors....

Damn shame so many grills have had the piss scratched out of them, especially the ones that were barely dirty and never needed to be razor rashed & scoured to begin with.

Damn, what you guys are doing with your razor blades?? I have cleaned and resto'd probably 100+ kettles and never had issues with scratching. Am I careful? Of course... but that's just common sense.

Unless you are holding it at too steep of an angle or dry scraping the shit outta it I'm rather baffled by this?

Tools don't do damage to your kettles.. it's the inexperience of the tool user and lack of for thought that causes damage.

BINGO!

@vwengguy great suggestion on the rounded blades as that's the one bit that could potentially dig in - thanks [emoji106]

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 07:56:45 AM »
I will clarify, I have not had any issues that I can tell razor scraping and I'm not anti razor scrape. I just don't see a need since the first cook gets the bowl dirty and undoes all of the work.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 10:21:29 AM »
I give 'em a vigorous rub down with
a copper mesh scrubbie loaded with a slightly diluted
dose of good old blue Dawn.
It knocks off the bump and loose debris
and makes short work of the carbon
flakes (PEELING PAINT!!!!) inside the lid.
It's softer than steel wool and have never
had a worry about scratching.

choreboyscrubbers.com/chore-boy-products/copper-scouring-pads

0000 steel wool is still my choice to go at the stubborn
stuff on the outside.  I use 'em for cooking
so if it's not spotless I don't really care.

If the steel wool won't take it off, it stays as a battle scar.
(beauty mark)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »

Damn, what you guys are doing with your razor blades?? I have cleaned and resto'd probably 100+ kettles and never had issues with scratching. Am I careful? Of course... but that's just common sense.

Unless you are holding it at too steep of an angle or dry scraping the shit outta it I'm rather baffled by this?

I was going to say that too....people are able to screw up a kettle with a razor? I normally use 0000 steel wool like everyone else and simple green/razor on the interior. Never had a problem.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Kettle Razor Burn
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 12:06:09 PM »
;-)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:19:54 PM by vwengguy »

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 12:08:39 PM »
Take a look at the grill on the resto/clean page and try to tell me its not razor rashed...

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 12:19:16 PM »
It's not razor rashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 01:14:14 PM »
Not razor rashed at all. This was my kettle and write up.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 01:32:07 PM »
What is going on here?

I've never heard of razor damage.
Out of every method I've tried on more grills than I care to admit... the razor scraper has been:
- absolutely, hands down the best tool for the job
- never ever caused damage to anything other than my own flesh