Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 22" bowl measurements needed  (Read 3499 times)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
22" bowl measurements needed
« on: August 10, 2017, 07:16:39 PM »
I'm wanting to mod a 3 wheel vent kettle bowl into a WSM bowl. I have the kettle bowl, and the WSM legs.... just need to know where to start drilling.

Does anyone already have the leg-hole and vent hole measurements available? Or can someone get them for me?

Any help is greatly appreciated....

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MDurso

• WKC Brave
Re: 22" bowl measurements needed
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »
A minor Zombie Thread here.

Wait.. What do you want to do?  I can take some measurements of what I have.  Do you mean you have a 3 damper bowl and you want to add the legs to it?

Hmm.. too bad I don't have any of the old drawings or files.

I know my initial designs were merely to place the legs in a position where the screws would catch the lower grate just like in the 18.  The heat shield and all that came later.  Does that help?

Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 12:15:32 PM »
I don't have the measurements but I think the WSM bowl vents are higher up the side of the bowl than the kettle. You might run into problems using the kettle bowl and ash blocking your airflow. Something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 12:21:49 PM »
This is true, I did move them up the side eventually.  You'll notice that on the 14,18 that the vents kinda run directly across the charcoal ring.

However I do have a one-touch bowl on stubbys that I used with the rest of a smoker.  Weber engineering wanted this as some sort of upgrade or item of convenience, but my simple math of the amount of charcoal used in an average cook would require you to dump the ash catcher several times -not to mention the back and forth of the blades dusting up your bark.

But at this point, let's not discount the ingenuity of everyone here.  It is possible to smoke with oddly placed vents, YMMV.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 12:40:04 PM »
A minor Zombie Thread here.

Wait.. What do you want to do?  I can take some measurements of what I have.  Do you mean you have a 3 damper bowl and you want to add the legs to it?

Yes, I have a 3 damper kettle that would like to add legs to. In addition, I'd like to plug the existing damper holes and add holes/dampers in the proper WSM vent locations.

I know my initial designs were merely to place the legs in a position where the screws would catch the lower grate just like in the 18.  The heat shield and all that came later.  Does that help?

Since I'm not in front of the kettle bowl right now, I'll say.... potentially...  8)

I don't have the measurements but I think the WSM bowl vents are higher up the side of the bowl than the kettle. You might run into problems using the kettle bowl and ash blocking your airflow. Something to consider.

Yes, the WSM vents are higher. My 22 set-up for the last 5 years has been with the daisy wheel kettle. Ash build up is not a problem, thanks to a Happy Cooker internal ash pan. ALL of my cooks tend to run a bit hotter and faster than I'd like. It sometimes has it's advantages, but there are other times when I really have to babysit it.

This is true, I did move them up the side eventually.  You'll notice that on the 14,18 that the vents kinda run directly across the charcoal ring.

However I do have a one-touch bowl on stubbys that I used with the rest of a smoker.  Weber engineering wanted this as some sort of upgrade or item of convenience, but my simple math of the amount of charcoal used in an average cook would require you to dump the ash catcher several times -not to mention the back and forth of the blades dusting up your bark.

But at this point, let's not discount the ingenuity of everyone here.  It is possible to smoke with oddly placed vents, YMMV.

I believe that @Jeff has a one-off burgundy WSM that utilizes the OT dampers in the bowl, in conjunction with a slightly modified HC internal ash pan.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 12:48:30 PM »
Essentially, put the legs on where you want and the vents higher.  "technically" there was no rhyme or reason to the placement.  I use quotes because there was some trial and error, but some of the constraints were existing parts such as the 18 charcoal grate, the 4 hole damper (well this thing is gonna be huge, I don't think the 3 hole will cut it!) and "we're not spending money on any new tooling".

If I see one at home depot or Ace, i'll grab some measurements. 

I would forgo filling the old vent holes.  either use them or block them with the damper.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 01:17:20 PM »
I would forgo filling the old vent holes.  either use them or block them with the damper.

Based on this find from the infernets, shouldn't be difficult to block them...

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 01:22:19 PM »

Based on this find from the infernets, shouldn't be difficult to block them...

That's some brilliance right there!  Love it!

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 08:06:09 AM »
I went to a couple Lowes and Depots over the weekend, tape measure in hand.  NO luck!  I have an Ace on the list this weekend, hoping to help you out and get you going.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 02:22:55 AM »
Does this help?  Old posts with several size references for the KO plugs. 
NOT SO Great way to plug damper holes on WSM (for BBQ Guru) http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=18299

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 08:04:09 AM »
Bob,

I don't think a 22 WSM's bowl vent locations are relevant for what you want to do, since the bowl's sloped shape isn't the same as a 22 kettle's.

Judging only by vent distance from the rim (or, visually, at the centerline) could position them too high (poor airflow, aka exhaust competing with intake) or too low, as they might be already.

I like MDurso's earlier hint to place the vents basically even with (or a little lower, if possible?) the charcoal grate. I wouldn't put them any higher than charcoal level.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 08:12:35 AM »
the bowl's sloped shape isn't the same as a 22 kettle's.

I was not aware of this.  Thanks for the heads up.

I like MDurso's earlier hint to place the vents basically even with (or a little lower, if possible?) the charcoal grate. I wouldn't put them any higher than charcoal level.

Yep, this is what I'm going to go with.  As soon as I get one of those Roundtuit's.....

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 08:38:34 AM »
I can't prove it, but I *think* the WSM's bowl is taller. Same basic overall shape, now that I think about it some more, but once it goes "straight up" near the rim, is extended just a bit higher, whereas on the kettle bowl, once it goes "straight up" at the rim, stops.

I think I better stop.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 09:03:24 AM »
I can't prove it, but I *think* the WSM's bowl is taller. Same basic overall shape, now that I think about it some more, but once it goes "straight up" near the rim, is extended just a bit higher, whereas on the kettle bowl, once it goes "straight up" at the rim, stops.

I think I better stop.

No.  The bowe of the 22 WSM is the EXACT same as the Kettle.  100%

Also.. I found this old picture of me hard at work at Weber with an early form of the 22 WSM printed out.  Photo by my friend Bill who worked in the test lab.  There was another one of me with the heat camera, I need to locate that....

[attachment deleted by admin]

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 09:08:22 AM »
Hey.. the photo date is Jan 2007, but the 22 was released in Fall of 2008.  just goes to show how long the 22 WSM had been kicking around.  If you look to the lower left of the photo, there is a 22 "bomber" (as the 18 had been known as the bullet).