Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Poor Man's Summit  (Read 8674 times)

jdorn

• WKC Ranger
Re: Poor Man's Summit
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »
Plan B sounds better!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
Very interested in this build. 

Whit

mfridman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 05:58:50 PM »
Cooked pizza using the double lid.  I didn't get the temps I was hoping for, I think the inner lid stabilized at around 470, with the top air temp closer to 600-650F, my pizza steel running at about 550F. 

However, I didn't manage to get any lump to burn, and did the cook with two chimneys full of briquettes.

Maybe I need to use lump to try to raise the temps more?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Poor Man's Summit
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 07:50:04 PM »
Did you crack the lid?  Most likely not enough air flow. 

I've had my thermometer pegged using the pizzaque using kingsford

I've also pegged the thermometer without the pizzaque but cracking the lid substantially.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:52:34 PM by HoosierKettle »

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 10:42:33 PM »
I think that building a great pizza cooker and building a DIY Summit Charcoal Grill are two very different things. You have to figure out the ranges of airflow and radiant heat. Most of us here are coming from the Kettlepizza method where you just overpower with firewood splits on the charcoal.

Great job, by the way.

mfridman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 06:36:38 AM »
I think that building a great pizza cooker and building a DIY Summit Charcoal Grill are two very different things. You have to figure out the ranges of airflow and radiant heat. Most of us here are coming from the Kettlepizza method where you just overpower with firewood splits on the charcoal.

Great job, by the way.

Yes, you have a good point.

There are two sides to getting high temps--retaining heat (insulation) and generating it in the first place (airflow / combustion).   I am looking at the insulation part, but I also need to understand airflow.

The kamado style cookers, and the Summit both hit very high temps easily, according to their fans.  I'm trying to see if it is feasible to get similar results on my kettle.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Poor Man's Summit
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 06:57:11 AM »
Kamados typically have the capability to open them wide open. A kettle is limited by its 4 small holes on one vent. Hi temps will only be achieved by creating more air flow by adding or modding the existing vent or simply cracking the lid.

For example, I can put a full chimney of lit lump coal and as soon as I put the lid on with vents all open, it will start putting out the flames and settle in at a moderate high heat but never achieve extremely high temps. That's the premise of weber covered BBQ [emoji3]
Kettle pizza provides the needed air flow. Wood splits or lump is virtually irrelevant since you can hit 900 with good old kingsford.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:11:38 AM by HoosierKettle »

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 07:04:49 AM »
Great ingenuity go on.
Keep us posted.