Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Parchment paper  (Read 4346 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Parchment paper
« on: August 07, 2017, 08:46:01 AM »
Planning on 4 pizzas tonight in the pq. I was wanting to try parchment paper this time. I thought I might make all 4 on parchment paper so that I only have to worry about cooking them instead of a chain of making a baking. Any reason this won't work?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Re: Parchment paper
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »
I do that all the time and it works great.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:15:36 PM »

Thanks!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 12:21:54 PM »

Thanks!

Or you could go totally nuts like me and have 11 wooden peels and a pizza rack so you can pre-make 11 pizzas then fire them off one at a time!  LOL.  I know, I'm nuts!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 12:30:04 PM »
I remember your peel collection. Impressive. I thought about going down that road. Your not nuts. My brother and I are planning on welding up a pizza oven in the near future to accommodate the large pizzas that my mom makes. She won't make them smaller to work for the kettle so we have to make the oven bigger. [emoji3]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 12:32:39 PM »
We use a kettle with no attachment on their kettle currently and works decent but when I grill pizzas at home, I make several smaller pizzas and use the pq. I think 14"ish pizzas turn out better than the large more dense pizzas but it will be nice having a larger oven to accommodate large pies

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Parchment paper
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 05:18:18 PM »
Well, 7 pizzas later and I'm sold on parchment paper.  I also rolled the doe out between 2 pieces of parchment. Really works fabulous all the way around. I snatched the parchment out after a couple minutes of cooking and it's normal from there on out. I gave a couple pizzas to the neighbors that got home late and I think they enjoyed it. Beats a normal Monday I suppose.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 05:21:09 PM »
Delicious looking pies!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 05:47:32 PM »

Delicious looking pies!

Thanks. It was fun. I've probably only used the pizzaque a half dozen times and it does a nice job.  I have a little trouble getting the cheese to brown as much as I would like before the bottom gets done but it does a solid job.

WinnipegKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 06:59:26 AM »
I use parchment all the time makes prep easy and they are all done and ready to put on the Q. Also makes it easy to slide off the pizza peel as well. The wife uses a little corn meal on the paper before she makes them. Once the dough starts to cook you can pull the paper out so it's right on the pizza stone.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 08:21:34 AM »
I always start out pizzas on parchment and slide off to get the color I want before pulling.

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 06:50:57 AM »
A wooden peel makes all the difference in getting the pies to slide off, not that I'm gonna go buy 10 more though ;)
Mine would stick to the metal peel no matter how much corn meal or flour I used. I could see using parchment paper to prep maybe but there's something about learning the proper technique and mastering it that I like. Makes it more fun for me but whatever works!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 11:31:53 AM »
A wooden peel makes all the difference in getting the pies to slide off, not that I'm gonna go buy 10 more though ;)
Mine would stick to the metal peel no matter how much corn meal or flour I used. I could see using parchment paper to prep maybe but there's something about learning the proper technique and mastering it that I like. Makes it more fun for me but whatever works!

I think I have 11 wooden peels now as well as a metal rack to put them all in.  I can get 11 pizzas prepared and have them ready to go on the rack so I can fire them off one after another.  It was a good investment to me.  I think the most I've ever actually done it 8 pizzas at once (2 batches of Bobby Flay pizza dough cut into fourths).  Got it all from WebRestaurantStore.  They have really good prices.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/12-x-14-wooden-tapered-pizza-peel-with-8-handle/1241222.html
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 04:46:13 PM »
As much as I love that setup I just can't justify it or the space it takes up. I rarely cook for more than a few people at most but I really do dig it.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 11:53:29 PM »

I think I have 11 wooden peels now as well as a metal rack to put them all in.  I can get 11 pizzas prepared and have them ready to go on the rack so I can fire them off one after another.  It was a good investment to me.  I think the most I've ever actually done it 8 pizzas at once (2 batches of Bobby Flay pizza dough cut into fourths).  Got it all from WebRestaurantStore.  They have really good prices.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/12-x-14-wooden-tapered-pizza-peel-with-8-handle/1241222.html

I bet all the peels and the rack makes the process a million times less stressfull.

We usually crank out 8 pies in about 45 minutes. I assemble the first one and put it in the KP. I return the peel, and the family has a doughball turned into a pie ready for the wooden peel. I go tend to the oven with the metal peel. The first pie cooks in about 3 minutes, maybe 5 if I didn't crank it up. When the first one is done, it goes in and onto a cooling rack. The 2nd pie should be assembled and ready to go. Rinse repeat. one metal peel, one wood peel.
around the 5th pie, they start cooking a bit slower. That's when I start eating, or assembling again. or both.
Sometimes the first pies will influence the last pies.
Sometimes we regroup and try to figure out a dessert pie for the last dough.
We try to be agile, but we also have a few secret combos.