Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I think I have a problem  (Read 4707 times)

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: I think I have a problem
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 08:56:46 AM »
As long as you store it properly and keep moisture from seeping through the bag you should be good for a few years. The key is keeping it off of concrete floors and covered

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 08:58:10 AM »
Somebody told me charcoal is only good for year that can't be true?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

@sbano84
...hope not, I'm still using up stuff that's five & six years old....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

WinnipegKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 09:32:09 AM »
It never goes on sale here in Winnipeg so i just buy as i need. Home depot is 2 min away.

buckeyesmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 09:39:33 AM »
I was approaching 800 pounds a year ago. Held off buying for awhile.  But the recent purchase of 16 bags Weber brand should put me back over the 500 mark

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Search of Blue or Green MBH

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 06:09:06 AM »
I like where this thread is going get more charcoal when it's on sale tell the wife everyone's doing it don't worry about it

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

[attachment deleted by admin]
BBQ to live live to BBQ

jmccloskey659

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 02:02:04 PM »
New to the charcoal kettle approach to cooking and loving it so far.  You guys are impressive!  Guess I need to consider storage as well.  Have plenty of room in a fully below-grade basement or above-grade garage for storage; guidance would be extremely appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 04:58:57 PM »
New to the charcoal kettle approach to cooking and loving it so far.  You guys are impressive!  Guess I need to consider storage as well.  Have plenty of room in a fully below-grade basement or above-grade garage for storage; guidance would be extremely appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JM, not a pro by any means, but it's my understanding that you just need to keep it dry. 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
I think I have a problem
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 05:07:28 PM »
Just looked at this thread. I suddenly feel like I do not have near enough stocked. I only have a mere 200 lbs

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 05:25:17 PM »
Just looked at this thread. I suddenly feel like I do not have near enough stocked. I only have a mere 200 lbs

200# aint enough to get me through the winter

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 05:32:46 PM »

Back when I used to only refresh the coals with a pre-lit chimney full, I'd easily go through 3.5-4 bags of Stubbs if I was running two kettles hot and fast for a crowd.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 05:33:48 PM »

Your right. Doing a estimated usage calculation, I probably only have enough to get through December. I'll need an additional 200 lbs to get me to Memorial Day. So I guess I need to start jumping in the deals this summer.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 05:47:06 PM »

Back when I used to only refresh the coals with a pre-lit chimney full, I'd easily go through 3.5-4 bags of Stubbs if I was running two kettles hot and fast for a crowd.

I've gone through 3 bags of KBB doing a cook on 2 RKs.    That was a day long office party though where people came in shifts so to speak.

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 05:52:05 PM »

I've gone through 3 bags of KBB doing a cook on 2 RKs.    That was a day long office party though where people came in shifts so to speak.

Sounds like my kind of day!

A co-worker and her husband just bought an electric smoker and it turned out a decent brisket, but it didn't have the same character as one I did tending a fire on one of my kettles.  My godkids' dad HATES barbecuing whereas all my friends and family know they will find me in the back either manning the grills or taking a break in chair next to them.  As much as I love the food, just like fishing, the process and the experience is just as important....

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 06:23:07 PM »

Sounds like my kind of day!

A co-worker and her husband just bought an electric smoker and it turned out a decent brisket, but it didn't have the same character as one I did tending a fire on one of my kettles.  My godkids' dad HATES barbecuing whereas all my friends and family know they will find me in the back either manning the grills or taking a break in chair next to them.  As much as I love the food, just like fishing, the process and the experience is just as important....

yep yep. 

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 08:33:19 PM »
It seems to store better in the attached garage
than my wood floor shed.  Mid-Atlantic
Can be very humid though some are much
worse.  Paper charcoal bag is meant to breathe
to help equalize the moisture content.
Have had many bags older than a year burn
just fine.  Had some brand new stuff burn like crap.
Went back to the store andnsaw the bulk of it
being stores outside in the open garden center
not in the roofed part.  Stopped buying
 from that Lowes.