Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM charcoal ring in a 26"?  (Read 1585 times)

kemmons

• WKC Brave
WSM charcoal ring in a 26"?
« on: July 23, 2017, 08:50:43 AM »
Anyone tried this?  I've been thinking about it for awhile.  I've got allot of ideas in how to best utilize just wondering what you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hinds90

• Smokey Joe
Re: WSM charcoal ring in a 26"?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 03:52:21 AM »
Did you try this out, I'm trying something similar with a 22 charcoal grate and a deflector. Kinda like a kamado setup.

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:59:48 AM by Hinds90 »

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 07:47:50 AM »
I used a WSM ring on my Performer 22 when it was displaced by the Cajun bandit ring in the WSM. On the 22" kettle, the WSM ring fits perfectly around the charcoal grate like the CB ring fits around the WSM grate (which is slightly bigger).

On a 26, it looks like you could use it with charcoal on the inside or the outside of of the ring.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

Hinds90

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 08:16:51 AM »
Yep I'm going to do a test burn today. Truthfully I don't need all the space but I want it lol. If I can get the temp to settle in around 250 to 275 with the sheet metal I cut I'd be happy. If there are some bad hot spots I'll add a pizza stone to help disperse it

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »
I've used a 22.5 ring in my 26er and a 18.5 ring in my 22.5 OTG.  In each case it was to run a snake around the outside of the kettle and I always got good results.  The big (maybe only) advantage to doing this instead of a normal snake is speed/ease of set up. 

I'll be curious to see how it works the other way.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
I pretty much use a Vortex exclusively. Wide side up for the "snake", narrow side up for the HEAT!!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Hinds90

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 12:57:07 PM »
I plan on picking up the slow n sear and vortex eventually. Only reason I'm doing this is because I had everything already lol The setup I'm testing may not work at all just something I wanted to try. If it works just another tool 26 owners can use.

Hinds90

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 04:46:57 AM »
Worked great.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 06:22:14 PM »
I’m using the bowl of a 14” SJ in my 26’r. Perfect for Paella and flipping it over it’s the perfect poortexvortex!

I did cut the bowl from a rust bucket 19” WSM but it was overkill and I gave it to a friend that uses it in his Ranch - he loves it!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 06:55:36 PM »
I use a ring from an 18.5” WSM on my 26er whenever I do a snake for low & slow. Not sure if it really does much to deflect the heat since it’s got all those holes, but it looks cool and gives me a place to store it.

-Jed
-Jed

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 08:55:52 PM »
I use an 18 ring in my RK and like it a lot.

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Hinds90

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 11:26:14 AM »
I use a ring from an 18.5” WSM on my 26er whenever I do a snake for low & slow. Not sure if it really does much to deflect the heat since it’s got all those holes, but it looks cool and gives me a place to store it.

-Jed

@swamprb you're a legend lol. I've copied a few of your builds. I plan on doing the ranch legs on the 26er in the future.

I like the charcoal basket with the defelector setup but I want to try all methods. Next long cook I'm going to try the snake method. Saw photos of the baskets taken apart and want to try that also.