Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Optimal Height for Rotisserie Spit on a Kettle  (Read 1867 times)

turbo_slug

• Happy Cooker
Optimal Height for Rotisserie Spit on a Kettle
« on: July 21, 2017, 09:47:36 AM »
I have a Smokey Joe Gold and recently acquired some surplus 304 stainless bventing to make a mini wsm. 

Now i'm trying to decide what to do with the spare pieces stainless.  I was thinking i could install my universal rotisserie kit onto one of the stainless sections to make a rotisserie ring. Since the ring is 14" high, it would be easiest to mount the rotisserie far from the fire.  However how would this height affect the quality of the rotisserie?  It would be difficult to cut the stainless down in height.

To figure out a good height for the rotisserie ring, I'm trying to figure out the type of heat required to do a good cook on a rotisserie.  Conventional gas rotisseries come in a few varieties:

1) On a standard gas grill where the burners are on the bottom, the user would light the burners on either side of the meat but the burner directly underneath is kept off to stop radiant heat from burning the meat.  Meat is roasted via convection and very minimal radiant heat?

2) On a gas grill with a rear infrared burner, the user only lights the burner that sits directly behind the meat.  Meat is cooked via radiant heat and minimal convection?

3) On a Broil King gas grill w/ a standard rear tube burner, the user only lights the burner that's directly behind the meat. Meat is cooked via both convection and radiant heat?

Does anyone think it's ok to mount my rotisserie spit so far from the fire or do I need to get it closer to the flame?

Btw here is my partially completed mini WSM.  I have spare stainless sections that's very slightly larger diameter so stacking rings can be made very easily if I need more racks.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:55:37 AM by turbo_slug »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Optimal Height for Rotisserie Spit on a Kettle
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 09:27:39 AM »
Not a Rotihead here, but just from knowing HOW to set a fire in a Kettle, I believe you could have it that far above & simply build a stronger fire.....

Standard 22" rings are about 5-7" (not totally sure about this!!) + the 6" approx. up from the fire to standard grate level.....add those & you're at about 12 -14", I guess....

I hope I'm reading right.....you would replace the mini-WSM ring shown with the other piece (@ 14"  height) with the roti mounted on that other section?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 02:35:18 PM »
@swamprb may have some insight on this topic.
😉
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »
@swamprb may have some insight on this topic.
😉
+1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

swamprb

• WKC Performer
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!