Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Photobucket ransom  (Read 3118 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Photobucket ransom
« on: July 03, 2017, 02:34:10 PM »
...so Pbucket has changed its terms of use and now demands a $399 yearly fee to post to 3rd party sites. Its basically all I use it for to post to bbq forums. I'm not going to pay for that privilege.

Being an attention whore, I guess I'll be spending more time posting pics on my Left Hand Smoke Facebook page.

How is this Photobucket change going to affect the WKC?  I need some guidance on other photo sharing sites and how to transfer my albums if thats possible?

Anyone else bothered by this?
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Photobucket ransom
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 05:35:29 PM »
Yeah.....guess I'm sort of an Attention Whore also.....

8,000 pics on PhotoPhucket, 13,000 posts between here, Smoking Meat, Bretheren & Smoke Ring...80% of which (probably) have photos....

See Here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/off-topic/if-you-use-photobucket/

Bothered is putting it mildly.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 05:44:35 PM »
PS: I'm slowly going to transfer stuff to WKC photo sharing area....it's relatively easy to use (a few more steps than PB, but not bad) & use those for the future, here anyway.....
Not transferring from PB, from the originals here @ home....

Now, as for those past 13 grand.....not sure how to proceed.....rent & food comes before $400 worth of pics........maybe just wait them out, as I think they'll find that's a way-overblown move on their part,
see here:

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photobucket-now-charges-399-for-third-party-hosted-images/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 05:49:08 PM by 1buckie »

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 06:15:37 PM »
they have done lost their minds. honestly hopefully no-one here don't mean to offend.  but you have to be pretty dumb to pay 400 bucks when you can transfer all the pictures to your computer and then back up to imgur or flicker. I'm sure there are way more places also. blows my mind

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 06:22:06 PM »
they have done lost their minds. honestly hopefully no-one here don't mean to offend.  but you have to be pretty dumb to pay 400 bucks when you can transfer all the pictures to your computer and then back up to imgur or flicker. I'm sure there are way more places also. blows my mind

@LiquidOcelot
Transferring the images is NOT the problem.....the problem, for me anyway, is all the thousands of PREVIOUS posts that are live-linked to PB that I'll often refer to in answering a question or demonstrating an idea.....those are TOAST.....

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 06:56:49 PM »
What they're wanting is for the sites to pay the $40/month so images in user generated content show up.

It's a dick move, but their business model went stale a decade ago and now they're up shit-creek - so who can blame them.

A group of intelligent webmasters is already working on a solution that doesn't involve supporting ransomized content.

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 05:22:43 AM »
I  just gave up on Photobucket and moved to the WKC Photo site. It's sooo much faster and easier to use. @Troy Great Job!
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 02:39:26 PM »
What they're wanting is for the sites to pay the $40/month so images in user generated content show up.

It's a dick move, but their business model went stale a decade ago and now they're up shit-creek - so who can blame them.

A group of intelligent webmasters is already working on a solution that doesn't involve supporting ransomized content.

Thank you @Troy  .....however, it's also, as far as I can tell, also aimed at individuals.....NONE of the well over 10,000 posts I've done here & elsewhere containing photos, shows....anywhere.....

Were WKC to pay this silly-assed extortion, it won't free up swamp's or mine or anyone else's as far as I can tell.....they want the site(s) to pony up ALSO?

I'd like to just whimp out & have them show, but don't have 400 smackers just laying around not earmarked for important stuff for family, like food, etc.....
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 02:42:28 PM by 1buckie »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 02:52:33 PM »
Also,   @Troy

Please take a quck read at what Saxart found elsewhere.....just a few days BEFORE this happened....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/off-topic/if-you-use-photobucket/

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 07:06:27 PM »
Yeah.....guess I'm sort of an Attention Whore also.....

8,000 pics on PhotoPhucket, 13,000 posts between here, Smoking Meat, Bretheren & Smoke Ring...80% of which (probably) have photos....

Dude. I am impressed. Don't get too bummed man.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 02:31:11 PM »
test

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 03:17:02 PM »

LabRat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 03:13:55 AM »
I wonder if something changed. I was giving folks on one of my Indian motorcycle forums a heads up and hot linking was working fine. Granted the ads make the site virtually unusable but could the backlash have been too much?
John
In SE PA....On the wrong side of the MasonDixon line