Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Too Much if a Good Thing  (Read 2544 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Too Much if a Good Thing
« on: July 19, 2017, 06:07:52 AM »
Since I came into this forum I have learned a huge amount about grilling. Yes, grilling, not smoking......that is a completely different subject and skill set.

I have been using my kettle every chance I get and my family pretty much loves the meals that come off the grill. Here is the thing tho.....there really is such a thing as too much.  When every meal has that smokey taste, just from the briquettes. I give my coals plenty of time to develop the ash, and there really is not much smoke going on.....but the taste is still there. 

So once n a while I need to just roast in my oven to keep delicate flavors pure, despite being in a heat wave and trying to keep the house cool. Don't want to go to a gas grill again. Will continue to use my kettle, but every now and then my family wants smoke free food.

Anyone else have this issue?

(PS. I was trying to correct spelling on post title but it would not let me)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 06:10:39 AM by clarissa »

Dan520

• Happy Cooker
Re: Too Much if a Good Thing
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 06:25:37 AM »
I had the same issue. I used the roti over direct coals and no lid. Cooked great without the smoke/charcoal taste. Have done pork, beef, and chicken this way.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 06:28:15 AM »
@clarissa has been removed from the group.

Just kidding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Too Much if a Good Thing
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 06:32:54 AM »
I had the same issue. I used the roti over direct coals and no lid. Cooked great without the smoke/charcoal taste. Have done pork, beef, and chicken this way.

I thought about using the roti without the lid, but figured it would take longer to cook because of heat loss.  Going direct makes the difference?  Guess you put the grate in and the drip pan on it to avoid juices dripping on the coals.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 06:34:45 AM by clarissa »

Dan520

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 07:01:06 AM »
No grate and no drip pan, just over the coals. Like original spit cooking. Marinated pork tenderloin cooked in 30 minutes. The only time I had any flare up was when I decided to baste with an oil based marinade. Now I marinate first with no problem. You need to add charcoal for longer cooks.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 07:06:52 AM »
Probably a chicken would drip more and need the pan?????  I will try this one day soon. Actually my next roti will be 3 cornish hens end to end.   Also, when I need to add coals for a longer cook I start new ones in my chimney. That made more sense to me than just adding unlit coals

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 07:09:29 AM »

@clarissa has been removed from the group.

Just kidding!

Uh Oh.  Sorry, not wanting to offend anyone in here. I love this group. It is a real treasure trove of knowledge based on actual experience rather than hear say.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Too Much if a Good Thing
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 07:27:23 AM »
@clarissa  totally joking! Love learning here too! It's 100+ degrees right here. I will not be firing any grills.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 07:57:09 AM »
I was going to grill this evening . Heat index of 110.  Unless I put the kettle close to the back door . [emoji848]

davekkk

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 08:03:16 AM »
I pretty much only cook on the grill for me these days and that is fine with me. Some times I'll cook up the usual burgers and brats on the cast iron with lid open and that works well.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 08:09:02 AM »
I am thinking of doing chicken drums in my roti basket. Don't need to be out there with them. But we are just in the low-mid 90s here, so more comfortable than you are.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 09:02:39 AM »
It shouldn't be this hot in Illinois !

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 09:55:13 AM »
Just wondering what is your go to fuel choice and what have you experimented with?

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 10:13:33 AM »

Just wondering what is your go to fuel choice and what have you experimented with?

I use Kingsford briquettes direct or 1 or 2 zone indirect using my coal baskets placed accordingly.  If I see that I will need to add more coals I fire some up in my chimney and add lit.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 10:23:23 AM »
Not sure how clean KBB burns as I don't use it but I do use Stubbs and it's very clean. Maybe try some others to see if you notice a different flavor profile.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.