Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoked chicken !  (Read 1175 times)

joewhodatt

• Smokey Joe
Smoked chicken !
« on: July 16, 2017, 03:31:35 PM »
What temps do people smoked chicken ?   

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Smoked chicken !
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 04:28:40 PM »
I don't cook chicken lower than 375. If I want smoke I'll throw a chunk of peach or apple on. A little wood goes a long eay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »
I try to shoot at 300-325 in the WSM with no water pan. I find the chicken needs higher heat to get the right texture on the skin.
The best smoked chicken I have ever had was from the world famous Scott's BBQ in Hemingway, SC. I got to tour their pits and talk to the pit master for about 30 mins. He said that he always does chicken high over the coals at ~325. I bought 3 more whole chickens to bring home (90 minutes drive) and the whole family agreed that it was by far the best smoked chicken they ever had.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Smoked chicken !
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 05:54:04 PM »
Looks good!  I don't monitor temps. I use a full chimney banked with top vent open and bottom vents half.  So pretty hot in other words.

MDiBar

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 01:03:09 PM »
What temps do people smoked chicken ?   
I cook at 250 if I'm making pulled chicken, as I don't care about the skin.  I cook at 325 to 350 for a roasted chicken with crispy skin.

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »
My wife insists on boneless/skinless chicken breasts.  I normally have good luck grilling them at about 350-380 deg F but (I know this will sound heretical) last night I went rebel and put them on the smoker at 235 +/- 10 degF for two hours (these were very big breasts).  I  first brushed them with Italian dressing with a bit of added EVO and Italian seasoning then added Montreal Chicken seasoning as a rub and I brushed them with Italian again at the 1 hr mark.  I finished them in the oven in a tight container at 300 F for the last 15 minutes to push them up to 155-160 F internal temperature (I was time constrained or would have left them on the smoker)  and they were still hugely juicy with good smoke flavor. A nice change from higher temperature grilling where it is easy to dry out skinless breasts if you blow the time and/or temperature.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:10:00 PM by BillA from CA »
Still searching for a food that does NOT taste better when grilled or smoked