Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Work from home cheese and garlic stuffed, wrapped, then smoked sausages.  (Read 1439 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Used my lunch hour yesterday while working from home to prep for a short smoke and a delicious late lunch

Smoked cheddar sausage split open then stuffed with cheddar cheese, minced garlic and crushed red pepper.  Then they were closed up and wrapped in bacon.  I had to really stretch out the bacon for it to be long enough to wrap the entire sausage. 

Grill setup was 20 Weber charcoal briquettes in my old wire Weber charcoals basket. I started it with a lighter cube.  Next time I'll just use my Chimney to start 8-10 of the coals.  The lighter cube didn't quite light enough for me to hit smoking temps right away.  I have to give it about 30 minutes for the lit coals to spread enough to be at temp.  The sausages smoked for about two hours around 245-265 with a couple apple wood chunks. My totally time with the Weber charcoal from hitting temp to the temp finally starting to fall below 235 was around 3.5 hours.  At that point there were one or two coals left but it was still holding a decent temp considering how little charcoal was left. 

I've been very impressed by the Weber charcoal for slow and low cooks. 20 coals going for 3.5 hours plus the extra time it spent getting to temp is great.  With a hinged grate and a regular (modern) charcoal basket combined with a hinged grate you can get 6-8 hours.  This would be filling the charcoal basket, then piling coals up to and maybe slightly above the actual cooking grate through the opened hinged section.

This is what was left after 2 hours.

This is what was left at 3.5 hours after reaching a 245 smoking temp after lightning the coals.  Took 30-45 minutes to get to that point from the time of lighting the lighter cube.  First time trying a lighter cube in wire baskets this way.   It just didn't quite light enough coals.  Anyway, that means from first being lit it was 4-4.5 hours when I took this picture.  Grill temp was 235 before I removed the lid and took this photo. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:41:58 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
damn that looks good

Troy

• Statesman
Not going to lie man, these pictures haunted me all night.

I saw them on facebook at like 1am and I was F'in STARVIN MARVIN.
2 hours later my stomach sounded like a grizzly bear and I couldn't sleep.
These are on my list. Someone recently described these to me and referred to them with a special name - but I can't remember what it was

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
Not going to lie man, these pictures haunted me all night.

I saw them on facebook at like 1am and I was F'in STARVIN MARVIN.
2 hours later my stomach sounded like a grizzly bear and I couldn't sleep.
These are on my list. Someone recently described these to me and referred to them with a special name - but I can't remember what it was

I saw this recently with hot dogs instead of sausages but once the hot dog was stuff and folded back shut it was shoved into hollowed out jalapenos, then bacon wrapped and smoked.    The sausages I used for this were pretty good, but a week ago when I was making turds I couldn't find cheddar lil smokies and used the sausages picture below cut up into smaller pieces.  I had on left when I was done so I wrapped that and smoked it and it was awesome.   If I make these again I'll go with the Ekrich sausages instead of the Johnsonville Beddar with Cheddar pork sausages.  And as I always say when I do and post turds....I like going slow and low on this kind of thing, and it makes a great snack when you are doing and all day smoke and drinking beers!

Here is what I used for turds recently and would use the next time I do the stuffed and wrapped sausages:

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Troy

• Statesman
Nice. I remember the dogs in peppers post.
Someone I recently spoke with (probably in chicago at the meetup) was talking about hot dogs or brats that are split, stuffed with cheese and onions, wrapped in bacon, and then grilled/smoked.
They called them by a name, but I can't remember the name of the food or the person who told me about it. :(

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
Someone I recently spoke with (probably in chicago at the meetup) was talking about hot dogs or brats that are split, stuffed with cheese and onions, wrapped in bacon, and then grilled/smoked.
They called them by a name, but I can't remember the name of the food or the person who told me about it. :(

OK, I remember seeing them somewhere.  I think for those a little bit of the inside was removed to make a little room for the stuffing.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Those look amazing but so is everything wrapped in bacon.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
Those look amazing but so is everything wrapped in bacon.

Right!!!!!  If you wanted to one up me all you would need to do is wrap each one in bacon again!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Looks good over here too, Mike. You know, I bet a quick flash fry at the end would really compliment those too. I love deep fried bacon wrapped hotdogs. I bet that would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDiBar

• Smokey Joe
The Swanky Franky

Troy

• Statesman
The Swanky Franky
Yessssssss

Thank you! !!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app