Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Yesterday's burger  (Read 1352 times)

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
Yesterday's burger
« on: July 09, 2017, 04:21:36 AM »
Going back to the burger throw down, where @Travis mentioned the method of breaking ground beef up to season and then make (very) loosely formed patties. The patties should be so loose they are barely holding together. I used half a 1.4 lb package of 80/20, broke it up on a plate, seasoned with S&P and some rub, then drizzled with olive oil. Then I divided the beef into two equal parts, and using as little pressure as possible formed the patties.

I didn't get pictures of the process, but here's some pics of the end results - which are simply the most moist, juicy burgers you can have.

One tip is after you form the patties, put them back in a cold fridge to firm up before putting them on the grill. I like to cook indirect for a bit so they absorb some smoke flavor, then sear, then move back indirect to allow some cheese to melt.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
Re: Yesterday's burger
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 04:30:18 AM »
But here's the real reason I wanted to post.

https://youtu.be/BddJ_cO3tj4

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 11:48:02 AM »
Sweet video and even better looking burgers.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 04:31:22 PM »
That method sure does produce an incredible burger, right. Great lookin burgers man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 05:15:18 PM »
Did it again tonight and captured the whole process.

Break the ground beef apart. This is critical to getting the moist, juicy burger you want. Season (just S&P this time) and add a little EVOO.

Divide into burger-sized portions. This started with about 1.3 lb of 80/20. I cut it in half and put the other half in the freezer for later (non-burger) use, so I ended up with a couple of roughly 1/3 lb burgers. There has been no patting yet.

Those are the patties. Just gently picked up the portion of burger and BARELY formed it together. It's still very loose. Put in back in the fridge so it holds together later when you put it on the grill. All this was before I even lit a briquette.

Get the fire going - mostly unlit (used and new) briquettes, with about 10 fully lit briquettes added to the baskets, along with a chunk of wood (hickory this time). Temp on the lid thermostat was holding between 200-250.

After about 15 minutes, open the lid and let the briquettes heat up for the sear. Patience here, you want the fire to get hot. I buttered and toasted some buns while the fire heated. There is some color to the burgers at this point, and they've soaked in some good smoke flavor.

Money.

https://youtu.be/dFh_Mhhked4

Burger seared and ready. You could add cheese at this point, but I went plain this time.

Second burger searing.

Couple of burgers.

Topped with onion, tomato, and mayo.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:23:31 PM by haeffb »

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 06:13:38 PM »
Looks amazing! Love a good burger.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 09:03:56 AM »
Wow, these burgers looks great.  I always mix my seasonings into the ground beef, but usually pack the patties fairly firmly.  I am definitely going to try this!  Thanks for doing a second batch and getting all of the pics and videos!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »
@haeffb Those look fantastic , Brian! Have you tried grinding your own meat? If not, and you get the chance, try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 03:19:33 PM »
Hey Brian,

Those look Great! Thanks for the tip!
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 03:32:33 AM »
My mom used to run a small-town grocery store, and I was cheap labor. I have ground more meat than you can imagine. And had the daily task of cleaning the grinder and meat saw and...

But I do have a grinder attachment for the Kitchenaid, so I will try it sometime.

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »
That looks better than a Big Kahuna Burger, which is one tasty burger...