Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Plum SSP Restoration  (Read 3136 times)

FuzzyMan88

• WKC Brave
Plum SSP Restoration
« on: July 07, 2017, 04:13:56 PM »
Hello All, New to the Club and I have started to clean/restore a Plum SSP I got off of CL for $50, and I want to share some photos of it, as well as ask a few questions.  And sadly I did not take pictures before I started, to be honest I was too excited to get started that I forgot.

Mostly clean lid:

Clean Lid:

Mostly Clean Bowl:

Clean Bowl with clean grate:

Before Cleaning Master touch:

After Cleaning MasterTouch:

Before Cleaning Bottom of Bowl (I'll post the cleaning one tomorrow, since it is now raining and I had to stop cleaning):

OK now here are the pictures that I have questions on:

Is this salvagable or should I try to get a new handle?

and is this just the protective plastic cover over the instruction pannel or if I try to peal this off will the instructions come off as well?

And Lastly, should I worry about getting this caked on charcoal off of the inside of the ash catcher off or not worry about it?

Thank you all for looking and welcoming me earlier on my previous post.  I will also post more pictures of my progress and the pictures I forgot to take.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Re: Plum SSP Restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 04:47:39 PM »
Looks grate. Nothing there to worry about at all. Finish cleaning and fire it up!

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 06:42:27 PM »
@FuzzyMan88 , I had a ash bucket collar with that plastic on the label on one of my restores. The original owner never peeled off the shipping protection. I used a razor blade at a shallow angle and very carefully scraped it off. It took awhile but it did come off. Watch out for the colored areas, they will come off if you razor them. Just be careful not to scratch the metal and take your time.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 09:24:13 PM »

I would try and clean up the ash bucket handle.  The only place you can source another one is by buying a donor kettle on CL or obtaining one from another WKC member.  Weber no longer carries this style of ash catcher.  The new style ash catcher assembly has a pinch style handle that will not work with this ash bucket.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 11:34:57 PM »
That ash bucket handle is perfectly functional so my vote is to keep it. Spray painting it can also be an option.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 07:28:22 AM »
Congrats on score/restore! I'm with the crowd- use the original stuff. Just get as clean as you can and fire it up.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

FuzzyMan88

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 09:24:16 AM »
i was planning on using everything original as much as possible. I just finished cleaning the ash catcher handle and it is a lot less rusty and I got all of the plastic off the instruction panel. I just need to put everything back together and fire it up. I'll post pictures of all of the stuff I've done and if it's first cook (for me at least) when I am finished.

FuzzyMan88

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 02:55:19 PM »
I am finally done with all the cleanup, and thank you everyone for the help! Below are is the pictures of my Plum SSP.

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 02:57:05 PM »
I am finally done with all the cleanup, and thank you everyone for the help! Below are is the pictures of my Plum SSP.

What is your neighbor doing in the background???

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »
Nice work on your plum SSP.  Very sweet. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

FuzzyMan88

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 05:24:43 PM »

What is your neighbor doing in the background???

He was digging out the walkway that they previous owner covered up with sod. He moved in about 4 months ago and just found it, (when the grass in the sod died)

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 05:31:59 PM »
Looks great! Inspires me to clean up my plum SSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 06:15:39 PM »
That's awesome! You're going to love using it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 06:30:46 PM »
Do it @mhiszem and I'm right there with you. I've got a few in the queue that need attention but I just don't have the time with the new baby and I'm starting a new job in a week. It would be nice if I could have a solo weekend to just play some tunes, put some beers on ice and work on grills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 07:33:51 PM »
excellent restore job!
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank