Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaned my Weber with Ash  (Read 2384 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Cleaned my Weber with Ash
« on: June 27, 2017, 12:15:25 PM »
Cooked chicken yesterday on my gourmet grate using my coal bins in the center like a pseudo vortex.  Next time I will line the outside of the bowl with foil for easy cleanup

Today after the rain stopped I cleaned the bowl and found that brushing the ash up the sides and scraping down several times really helped absorb the grease and I now have a clean kettle as you can see once I dump the ash.

Anyone else us the ash like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 12:18:19 PM by clarissa »

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cleaned my Weber with Ash
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 12:56:17 PM »
That's a good idea. I have used the ash to absorb grease. You can bank coals on one side and put chicken on the other side with a aluminum pan to catch the drippings. That way you won't have to clean up
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »
Don't bother with the foil, it's really not worth the time, the effort, or the foil.

The ash technique you mention works well. Razor scrapers or plastic putty knives are fantastic for quickly cleaning the inside of the bowl.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 02:33:26 PM »
I got one of these from a fellow member in a SSP propane tank exchange. I cracked the shovel off and just use the scraper tool. It works pretty well to push the ash around.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 03:02:40 PM »
This is what I routinely use. I have a 3 piece Weber BBQ Set. I Use the tongs for moving individual coals and the flipper for raking coals and scraping down the sides of my kettle. Works well. I have other tools for my food

shamlax79

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 05:59:53 PM »

I got one of these from a fellow member in a SSP propane tank exchange. I cracked the shovel off and just use the scraper tool. It works pretty well to push the ash around.

I have one of these and it's great! I use the shovel a lot actually to get used coal out of the kettle that I can reuse

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 04:56:36 AM »
  I have not seen one of those tools in any of my stores. Who sells it?

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 08:49:01 PM »
Don't bother with the foil, it's really not worth the time, the effort, or the foil.

The ash technique you mention works well. Razor scrapers or plastic putty knives are fantastic for quickly cleaning the inside of the bowl.

I disagree when cooking indirect. The few times I have forgot to put foil down or a drip pan, it made a hell of a mess, the one touch sweep worked rough after, was actually stuck a couple times, and the grease dripped into the ash bucket along with a hot coal and smoldered for hours "stinking worse than KBB" ever does lighting. Chicken especially needs foil or a drip pan. I store my grills in my garage, no way I could bring that smoldering grill bucket in, so I removed the ash pan and left it outside over night with an old pizza pan and a brick on top to put it out.

I imagine thats how 3 wheeler vents become stuck when the grease and ash mix and form "cement"

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »
I always try to use a drip pan.  This was the first time I didn't. I should have foiled the bottom. Too bad someone doesn't make half circle drip pans that would fit the perimeter.  But.....I do find that the ash does a pretty good job at absorbing any grease from the bowl.  I like to keep my grill nice and clean between cooks so I scrape it down after each use. I am very careful around the vent fins and make sure that they move freely and nothing gets lodged under them.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 05:21:35 PM »
I have spread ash around to help gather grease but I did so using newspaper. Balled up newspaper rubbed on the inside of your lid and bowl between cooks will do wonders. Make sure to rub your blades too. Stuff that ball in the bottom of your chimney and bingo....if it has grease on it then you will not need any more newspaper to start that chimney.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 05:31:42 PM »
I have spread ash around to help gather grease but I did so using newspaper. Balled up newspaper rubbed on the inside of your lid and bowl between cooks will do wonders. Make sure to rub your blades too. Stuff that ball in the bottom of your chimney and bingo....if it has grease on it then you will not need any more newspaper to start that chimney.

I do this very same thing …. learned it from watching Hoss …. He's got some novel ideas up his sleeve … Just sayin' …  :D :D

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 05:34:30 PM »
I do this very same thing …. learned it from watching Hoss …. He's got some novel ideas up his sleeve … Just sayin' …  :D :D

I'm so whacked on my meds that I have forgotten most of it. Maybe that's why I'm so grumpy.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

shamlax79

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »
  I have not seen one of those tools in any of my stores. Who sells it?
Sorry I just saw this but I got it at Walmart on clearance. Walmart does currently sell a new version of it though.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broil-Comfort-Grip-Cleanout-Tool-XL/49316771?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228040240287&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=94350418457&wl4=pla-61986863483&wl5=9003836&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=49316771&wl13=&veh=sem

I have one of these as well and it's pretty much the same but the rake and shovel are a little smaller. Still good though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 07:31:54 PM »
Too bad someone doesn't make half circle drip pans that would fit the perimeter.

This is what you are looking for.

https://abcbarbecue.com/product/drip-n-griddle-pan/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Cleaned my Weber with Ash
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 02:15:12 AM »
Too bad someone doesn't make half circle drip pans that would fit the perimeter.

This is what you are looking for.

https://abcbarbecue.com/product/drip-n-griddle-pan/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. That is great for use with the SnS. I was thinking along the lines of a drip pan that would fit under the gourmet grill and go all the way around the perimeter when a vortex or coal grates are used in the center. Because the food (wings etc) is placed all the way around in a circle. They could be made in quarter circle segments and you lay them edge to edge all the way around. They would be only as wide as the cook grate is. Alum and disposable would work. Weber should consider making them for the gourmet grill grate.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:16:50 AM by clarissa »