Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: which grill for the kettle pizza?  (Read 4115 times)

Troy1620

• Smokey Joe
which grill for the kettle pizza?
« on: July 01, 2017, 05:58:25 PM »
Looking for some advice. I plan on using my kettle pizza tomorrow and I'm not sure which 22" i should use... ssp or mbh? ive done 2 pizza cooks on the ssp and im worried about the rollers and lp ignition start from the high heat. I have a red mbh but it has some areas where the porcelain has come off and I'm worried the high heat may have a negative effect on these areas. Any thoughts other then an old black dedicated pizza cooker?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: which grill for the kettle pizza?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 06:08:42 PM »
Don't worry about the gas ignition, or if concerned, just remove the tank.  I remove the 2 nuts and lower the lod bale  to protect the rollers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 06:11:00 PM »
In my experience the KP is really hard on whatever grill you use it with.  I'd worry about the SSP for all the reasons that you mentioned, as well as the MBH for the same.  If I couldn't use a dedicated beater for KP, I'd just pick the 22 I loved the least. 
One of the charcoal people.

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 07:11:05 PM »
I second using a beater 22...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 07:26:29 PM »
Is your SSP a color? If not, that's your no brainer pizza cooker vs a RED mbh.  I cooked a bunch of pizzas on ssps without any roller issues. Pretty sure Zavod sells wood rollers too

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »
Not a colored one for sure. You can try using an SSP with the plastic lid bale rollers- they are cheap to replace if needed.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 09:16:47 PM »
CL is prime with free junkers that'll make a perfect pizza cooker.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 10:53:26 PM »
CL is prime with free junkers that'll make a perfect pizza cooker.
+1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 02:38:53 AM »
I've been lucky. I use a blue as my kp grill and it hasn't suffered any damage. I've also used my performer with no negative impacts so far. Maybe over time the high heat will cause damage. I dunno.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 08:57:59 AM »
You need lots of air flow so not a MBH....the 3 wheels provide less air than the newer blade models.

Handles and bale rollers will either melt or start on fire so govern yourself accordingly.

Some people use Reds or Homers.....because of the high heat I'd only do this if the Kettle were already beat. In fact my pizza cooker IS a beat to crap Red that was like that when acquired.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 09:11:19 AM »
@MrHoss

"Handles and bale rollers will either melt or start on fire so govern yourself accordingly.

Really, start on fire?  How HOT are you getting your Pizza grills?

I don't think the idea is to bake pizza at 1000 Degrees..

Use a beater grill if you're planning on having regular Pizza Parties.
How about the Jumbo Joe with the bottom vent off? That should flow a good amount of air..
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 09:37:33 AM »
+however many on a CL beater. I use a black econokettle with stock wood handles. Keep your lid vent closed.
Still need a 22” yellow

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 10:25:48 AM »
@MrHoss

"Handles and bale rollers will either melt or start on fire so govern yourself accordingly.

Really, start on fire?  How HOT are you getting your Pizza grills?

I don't think the idea is to bake pizza at 1000 Degrees..

Use a beater grill if you're planning on having regular Pizza Parties.
How about the Jumbo Joe with the bottom vent off? That should flow a good amount of air..

Not a thousand degrees but certainly high 700's to mid 800's. Wood fired pizza ovens typically get in this range and to properly cook the dough and get caramelized cheese it is necessary.

This setup is the one I use now. Notice the back of the bowl handle and the rollers. Now I spray them down with water before I start. I started using chunks of wood with the KP unit but switched to splits as they provide more even longer sources of heat. When I was using chunks of wood my temps were lower and the resulting pies were not nearly as good....I would say the temps were about 100f less.

I make my own doughs now for about 30 years and sometimes my own sauce. My pies turn out just fine @Heyjude - the temp on my KP unit is about right I believe. I was in Europe for just shy of a month and ate pies every day. Those things were done in about 3 minutes.....I use double fine Italian flour......and make my pies as similar to those European versions as I can........the best of mine are done in about 3 minutes too.

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 12:01:35 PM »
Looking Good!
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 12:28:49 PM »
anyone use the KP on an 18.5?
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers