Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My "new" Performer  (Read 8110 times)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
My "new" Performer
« on: April 23, 2013, 02:30:29 PM »
So I have been looking for the Crate and Barrel Performer for a little while now.  I've found out recently that its no longer made.  There are only 2 floor models available in the US in total - both on the east coast...one of which is damaged.  I wanted one, but at the same time, I'm not a big fan of the plastic table Performers.  So I've been on the hunt for a SS Performer with a nice frame, but with a rough bowl and lid.  So a few weeks ago my wife found one on Clist.  We went to look at it and it fit the bill for what I wanted.  Frame was near perfect, bowl and lid average condition.  It was also missing a few items like a propane tank, caster, parts for the lid bail, and some other small stuff. Luckily I happen to have had all these parts laying around.
Many of my ideas on this grill came from Duke...a while back he created one very similar to it.  I thought it looked so cool, I needed to have one.

So my goal was take the nice frame and remove the original bowl and lid.  They were then swapped out with a new lid and bowl from Weber.  I put some money down into this grill...but its a keeper - and a cooker!   I made 35 bucks in parts off this grill from what I paid for it.  That went towards the new bowl, lid, and wheels.
Any opinions of the color coordinating the ash bowl with kettle?  I thought about leaving it just silver, or painting it black.  I changed my mind last minute to match it to the kettle.

So here is what I started with, and what I ended with.  Sorry, but its picture heavy.

The finished product...only thing I'm waiting on are some cool new wood handles from Brian!

[imghttp://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq142/A_Tame76/green-lime%20performer%20rehab/DSCF7815_zps53be6eac.jpg]http://[/img]

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:48:27 AM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Re: My "new" Performer
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »
Very nice! The ash can looks great!

Shouldn't there be an after shot of the dog too ;)

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 02:44:51 PM »
Nice Job..One of a kind. At lest for now!  Please elaborate ont he paint. How did you get it to match and did you spray it?
AJ  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Big B

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:55:13 PM »
That is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it awesome job
Goes along with the theory  "Why buy it, when U..... can make it, BETTER"

Brent
Wood Worker by day, Wood Burner...by night!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 03:08:04 PM »
Nice Job..One of a kind. At lest for now!  Please elaborate ont he paint. How did you get it to match and did you spray it?
AJ  8)

AJ...the bowl and lid are the actual ones made for Crate and Barrel.  The only parts I painted were the wheels, the center of the Weber name plate on the cart face, and the ash bowl.  The paint I used was a spray paint. 
The paint I used was Rust-oleum Paint Plus Ultra cover.  The color name was "satin eden"  Its not a 100% match, but its pretty darn close.  I was happy with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-257418-12-Ounce-Painters-Touch/dp/B006ZHJVU2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366758433&sr=8-1&keywords=rust-oleum+satin+eden

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 03:12:50 PM »

Brent
I had a little bit of a difficult time getting the lid and bowl from Weber.  They DO have a policy that states they cannot sell parts for grills you don't have, and you cannot modify the grill from its original construction.  (even its its as simple as putting a new style lid with flush mount thermometer onto an old grill with the thermometer mount in the handle)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 03:21:37 PM »

Brent
I had a little bit of a difficult time getting the lid and bowl from Weber.  They DO have a policy that states they cannot sell parts for grills you don't have, and you cannot modify the grill from its original construction.   (even its its as simple as putting a new style lid with flush mount thermometer onto an old grill with the thermometer mount in the handle)

Then they're going to be seriously dismayed with most all of my upcoming projects...... :'(

Your re-fit looks absolutely spectacular, very nice work..... ;D

The paint, I guess didn't need to be high heat ?

Ash can concerns?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 03:23:01 PM »
Jeff that's a beautiful grill if I have ever seen one! Fantastic job! Where did you get the wheels? This needs to be in the Show & Shine so we can look back on the awesome grills of 2013 down the road.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 03:38:16 PM »
That is nice!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 03:39:25 PM »

Brent
I had a little bit of a difficult time getting the lid and bowl from Weber.  They DO have a policy that states they cannot sell parts for grills you don't have, and you cannot modify the grill from its original construction.   (even its its as simple as putting a new style lid with flush mount thermometer onto an old grill with the thermometer mount in the handle)

Then they're going to be seriously dismayed with most all of my upcoming projects...... :'(

Ash can concerns?

Hey Buckie, I hit the ash can with a 500 degree engine block primer first, then the green over that.  We shall see!   I have more paint if it doesnt hold up.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 03:39:57 PM »
Jeff that's a beautiful grill if I have ever seen one! Fantastic job! Where did you get the wheels? This needs to be in the Show & Shine so we can look back on the awesome grills of 2013 down the road.

Wheels were ordered from Weber.  Same ones you used if Im not mistaken

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »

Brent

Ash can concerns?

Hey Buckie, I hit the ash can with a 500 degree engine block primer first, then the green over that.  We shall see!   I have more paint if it doesnt hold up.

That would have been my next thought......should be fine, I would think.....the primer's pretty stout..... :D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 05:02:40 PM »
Okay hold everything....Did you get this grill in Hillside? 

Second, so you got the lid and bowl from Weber?  Did you have to tell a "story" to get it?  I love the grill it's awesome...I'm mad you didn't sell me the old green performer parts for $35.  I sent you an email, not even knowing it was you!  Asking how much....

It does need to be in the 2013 show and shine, thread.....

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 05:21:23 PM »
This was a grill the wifey found...we picked in up near Tinley Park.   The old Performer parts were sold for more than 35.  35 was I had extra from what I paid for it.  My neighbor decided he wanted the parts from me shortly after I listed them.  He liked the green instead of his black one.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 05:25:43 PM »
I think I had a deal for that grill and the guy backed out, must have sold it to you.....looks like it was better in your hands.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X