Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Yet another handle observation ...  (Read 1394 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Yet another handle observation ...
« on: June 23, 2017, 01:22:35 AM »

Only a geek like ME would notice this. 

Here were my first two handle observations:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/handles-was-not-aware-of-this/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/another-handle-observation/

I rescued a black DA vent code (2001) yesterday mainly for parts.
Two handles on it, but upon closer inspection, there are slight differences in them.

@Craig , any reason why?  Anybody ?

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Yet another handle observation ...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 02:34:26 AM »
That is interesting for sure, I didn't realize that this style had 2 different versions of it.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 03:55:51 AM »
Yeah, crazy that you noticed this. It is really neat to see the comparison. @MacEggs you must be very detail oriented.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 04:04:24 AM »
the top one with the ridges is a lid handle, I'm assuming the ridges are for gril since you don't really need trip to roll a grill around

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 04:13:55 AM »
My uneducated observation: It looks like the design with the narrower inner (or bottom) piece may require less material. Also, since the inner piece in that design slips inside the outer piece, it can adapt to a thinner metal strap than the other design since, with the other design, once the inner piece contacts the outer piece you can't tighten it any further.  Of course, if the narrow design is older and was replaced by the wide design, then I'm completely off base (I did say uneducated).  :)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 12:34:05 PM »

@LightningBoldtz , At first glance, they appear to be the same / identical. 
                             It just seemed odd that one kettle would have 2 handles with 2 variations to that handle.

@mhiszem , Detail oriented ??  Yeah, maybe.  My job requires it, even though I'm a robot of sorts.

@LiquidOcelot , I like your thinking, but it's the second one that was on the lid.  The plot thickens, eh?!

@Dsorgnzd , I like your analogy … all the metal straps are the same … Dunno why two handle designs were used ??

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 01:14:28 PM »
I looked at a couple grills that have the plastic handles today and none of them have version A & B mix-matched.

Version A being on the top and version B on the bottom in all of the pics.

None of the grills I looked at have version A.

One came close and its on a SSP.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 08:12:40 AM »

Thanks for that, HFG!

I have never personally seen one of those, but it does appear to be very similar, assembly-wise.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 08:44:29 AM »
I've been known to swap handles off Chimneys to put on kettles-

somebody better check on them as well!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!