Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What to use to clean the ash catcher  (Read 2082 times)

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
What to use to clean the ash catcher
« on: June 14, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »

Just wondering what u guys have found that works well to shine up these original catchers ? I don't want to scratch it up. The one one this red is the original as far as I know . The rest of the grill shines like a
Dime .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

Re: What to use to clean the ash catcher
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 04:10:06 PM »
Hands down, cleaning and restoring an ash pan is the most time consuming item on a kettle. Here is the WKC article on procedures you can use. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-charcoal-grill-restoration/ash-pan-clean-up-and-polish-procedure/

Follow it step by step and it will come out like this. 

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:06:27 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 06:05:07 PM »
[emoji15] well I know my plans for tomorrow evening ! Thanks a bunch

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 09:26:56 PM »
daaamn! must have missed that cleaning tutorial.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 08:07:17 AM »

@Dc_smoke309  &  @LiquidOcelot

Here is the quote from the thread on the restore I did on the ash pan in the above picture.   They can be brought back to almost new looking, but not a restore for the faint of heart.

I probably have over 8 hours into the cleaning and polishing of the ash pan alone.  Had to do it in 1 or 2 hour blocks as it is real hard on the fingers. 

What methods/materials/techniques were used on the ash pan?

I followed the WKC "Ash pan clean up and polish procedure" instructions.  It is the third tab under the Grill Restorations Heading on the WKC Home Page:

Step 1- Deep soak in CLR
Step 2- Removal of surface contaminates with #0000 extra fine steel wool and fine emery cloth
Step 3- Shaping the ash pan
Step 4- Polishing

I agree wholeheartedly with the writer of this article when he states, "In my opinion, one of the most challenging pieces to restore on a Weber kettle is the ash pan".  After soaking in the diluted CLR, I began a process of alternating back and forth between the steel wool and fine and extra fine emery cloth. I tried to always sand with a circular motion, even with the emery cloth.  It makes it easier for the final step of polishing.  I probably spent 4 hours alone on Step 2.  I shaped the ash pan by using a small hammer and gently pounding out any small imperfections.  I used a very smooth brick retaining wall in my yard to slowly pound the pan on.  Whatever you use as a pounding surface, make sure it is extremely smooth as aluminum is easily marred if you use a rough surface to pound on. Work very slowly and pound gently as aluminum is a soft metal.  I used Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish for the final step. I tried Brasso but did not get as much result as with Mothers. This is where you start seeing the fruits of all the hard work coming together. Having now completed a restore on an ash pan I would recommend either covering it with foil when cooking or keep an extra un-restored pan for use when cooking. I would not want to do this again on the same pan.

This was the ash pan before I began the cleanup. This photo was taken after I had hosed off all the loose material. 

This is a large detail photo of what I was dealing with. The crude that was left on the pan was like concrete.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 11:05:54 AM »
Wow that is amazing ! I'm glad you shared that , all that hard work pays off when u see that sucker shine . I have to go get some CLR and let it soak. About how long does the soaking process
Take . ?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 03:53:31 PM »

I let them soak overnight in a laundry room wash basin.  Stuff really works. 

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 04:07:19 PM »

This is what I started with .....

This is where I am SO far.... I'm not done with it . Just not a lot of free time with having kids .

It's a huge improvement but I'm gonna keep chilling away at it .