Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer Premium vs. Deluxe  (Read 12936 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Performer Premium vs. Deluxe
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 08:25:04 PM »
Not to mention, this isn't coming home from Lowes...

Still need a 22” yellow

steph746

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 04:58:55 AM »
What do you all think of the charcoal bin? Is it really weatherproof? I'd imagine if any moisture got in it, that would ruin the briquettes?

kob

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 05:15:00 AM »
The bin is under the table. I have forgot to put a cover on mine a few times and never had a problem it.

I use a Kingsford Caddy because I find it a lot easier to be able to dump the charcoal into a chimney. Sometimes I leave the charcoal in the bag and put it in the bin so I can still take it out and dump it.

steph746

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 05:28:56 AM »
I see...so, the Performer Premium comes with a bin with a lid? (seems difficult to tell from the pics)...anyone use the bin for trash, other storage, etc.?

kob

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 05:42:10 AM »
There is no lid, but it is underneath the table. I was saying that I have forgot to put the grill cover on over that and water still doesn't get in. You should have your grill covered when it rains anyways :)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Performer Premium vs. Deluxe
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 05:58:26 AM »
I have a gen2 performer and my charcoal storage bin does not get wet at all. No lid, it just fits under the table. I think the new ones are the same?  I use a separate kingsford charcoal storage bin and I use the performer bin for gloves, paper towels, spray bottles and occasionally temporary trash can for little stuff when cooking. Then I take the trash out when finished. Just a convenient temporary trash holding area if you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 06:00:55 AM »
I hate using covers so I move my grills under the overhang of the house when not in use.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 11:56:35 AM »
A GA performer is a great grill, you can get the small propane bottles on sale I last paid 10.00 for 4 bottles. And they last awhile I have no idea how many starts.
He coal bin I keep a bag of coal in there gloves etc. And my cats like also. I picked mine up on CL prices have gone up but you can still get deals.
The large chimmey is best as you can fill full or half depending on the cook need.
Get the GA never look back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

steph746

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 12:26:29 PM »
Just a follow up question to the premium vs. deluxe. I'm still not sure whether to go for the deluxe. A lot of the reviews seem to make it look pretty convenient and they all seem to be using the weber trays instead of a chimney. Looks like you can place the two trays over the flame and you move them to the side and start grilling.

Are the trays better than the chimney. Using the trays, it seems that you would lose a lot of cooking space (the middle wouldn't get a lot of heat)...

If you use the chimney, you would need to dump the coals out after a few minutes and spread them out on the bottom of the grill?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 01:13:29 PM »
You kind of have to jump in and start cooking. Everyone's process will vary. You can use the baskets over the flame to start the coals but thats only good if you plan on cooking indirect. If you plan on a direct cook than you don't need to start with baskets. Just put coals in a pile and light. However, neither of those methods do as good of job lighting the coals as using a chimney. A friend of mine with a performer has never owned a chimney. I prefer to start off with a chimney but it's not an absolute requirement with gas assist. For normal direct grilling you wouldn't use the baskets. Just light the coal in a chimney or pile and spread out.

I wouldn't over think it. Just get a grill, either grill and start cooking. If your not sure, get the gas assist. The amount of extra money it costs is minimal in the long run if you plan to grill often.

Nolamike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 03:31:37 AM »
I went through the same thought process, and wasn't going to get the gas assist - I just thought it seemed unnecessary, and something I didn't want to deal with. But once I settled on  the C&B blue, realized I would be getting the gas assist no matter what. And... I'm so happy I did! It's just incredibly easy, lights the coals incredibly quickly, and just adds a layer of added convenience that I really appreciate. Several dozen cooks later on the new grill, I couldn't be happier.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 10:26:03 PM »
@steph746   You've been given quite a bit of very good advice.   Here's my input just to muddy the water;  over time you WILL own both a small chimney starter (about 40 briquettes) and a large chimney starter (about 100 briquettes).  You WILL own at least one pair of charcoal baskets;  they protect the enamel to some degree and contain the fire to some degree.  Indirect is accomplished with them pushed to opposite sides, direct by pushing them back to back in the center (or really anywhere you want a circle of heat).  You WILL use the GA system nearly all of the time, but you WILL own starter cubes because they have there place (eg. starting a second round of lit coal on your Smokey Joe for a heat increase on the fly).

Ask this question; if having a GA system wasn't the bomb, then why do many of us go to our GA system Performers as our daily cookers.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

steph746

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 11:38:45 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate the advice. I ordered a dark green deluxe performer with a tall chimney to start. For the last poster...what does "GA" stand for?

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2017, 12:34:54 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate the advice. I ordered a dark green deluxe performer with a tall chimney to start. For the last poster...what does "GA" stand for?
It stands for Gas Assist.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

steph746

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2017, 03:20:17 AM »
It stands for Gas Assist.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Right :) Thank you...

To get started, my last question would be if anyone recommends particular tongs and spatulas? There must be a ton out there. I don't think I'll leave them outside, so they don't have to be weatherproof. Just looking for something that can get the job done and isn't too big or bulky.

Does anyone have any they recommend?

Thanks...