Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bad Byron's Butt Rub experiment take 1  (Read 3448 times)

Bman

• WKC Performer
Bad Byron's Butt Rub experiment take 1
« on: April 20, 2013, 08:23:05 AM »
For my first Pr0n post, I'm going against the grain in a few different ways. 
First - It's a work-in-progress.  Meat is rubbed and gettin' happy in the fridge waiting for a midnight kickoff
Secondly - I'm using the WSM instead of a kettle.   :-X

Let the games begin.  After seeing Bob Hope's post about the Bad Byron Butt Rub and reading the comments, I placed an order for some.
Just like his order, they tossed in a bunch of other stuff for free.  All I ordered was the rub, seafood seasoning, and honey.

Since the rub doesn't contain any sugar, I'm doing a side-by-side experiment.  I added equal parts BBBR & sugar to rub one butt and the other butt will be straight strength.

A coat of yella' mustard for the rub to hold onto.

Rubbed with the sugar mixture on #1

As it comes in the bottle on #2

Wrapped & resting in the fridge for 12 hours.

While the butts were gettin' happy, I smoked/grilled the pork chops wifey bought on Tue for tonights dinner.

While grilling, got the WSM ready for kickoff.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:12:35 PM by Bman »
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: Bad Byron's Butt Rub experiment take 1
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 08:23:33 AM »
Game time!  Fired up a dozen briquets with the tin can Minion method. 

Unwrapped the butts and added another round of rub on the exposed side.  After placing on the grate (fresh rubbed side down) I added more rub to the other side.  Buckie - it's what I've always done.  :)  The rub with the sugar has the temp probe.  Since it's 1am, I'll need to reference this post tomorrow to see which one I did.  lol

Tail end of Saturday Night Live while I monitor the temps.

We're hovering right around 260* so I'm calling it a night.

After waking up a few times to check the temps, here's the 6:30AM shot

Time to make the beans.  Another experiment recipe I got the the other place.  Yes, that's apple pie filling.

Can see everything but the beans...

Mixed up - doesn't look too shabby.

In the pool with the other kids.

Another few hours to go...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 05:53:10 AM by Bman »
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:49:26 AM »
What a tease! :D

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 12:13:43 PM »

Experimeting is a good, fun thing.....really lets you figure out what you like &  what creates flavors / textures, etc......
Some people I know of add an extra layer of rub after it's sat overnite with the 1st coating, never tried it, but it's a thought.....

Will check in for reports..... :D

PS: Didn't know Byron's  carried "butt honey" ?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 05:44:22 PM »
It rocks to open a box and go "wow, look at all the free stuff"!! doesn't it  :)
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 06:12:12 PM »
Interesting test let us know how it turns out.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »
~~~ Edited the first 2 posts adding more photos ~~~

Showed my gasser some love this week.  I tore her down for a cleaning like she hasn't had since I got her in June '06
Some people told me I went too far.  I says there's still a few bolts I *didn't* take out...

Used the living room (room we never use) as the staging area after pieces were clean/painted/arrived in the mail.

New trip tray & catcher, new burner tubes, new ignightor, new cooking grates, new bottom panel, and last year got SS flavorizer bars.

Standing proud in her restored glory.

It was an all Weber day!  Started out by picking up a free gasser in town, putting this one back together, grilling dinner, tearing down/washing another gasser in the garage, and firing up the WSM.  Grinning from ear to ear.   ;D

nicky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 03:10:22 AM »
Nice one :)

What can you tell me about the black pins sticking out of your charcoal ring?:

Danny C

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »
Why don't I have a weber sticker on my door? Are those stock? Even though I have a Cajun bandit door I like the logo!
Danny
Also I love the Maverick et-732
I sleep all night without any alarms
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:54:15 PM by Danny C »

Craig

• WKC Mod
Bad Byron's Butt Rub experiment take 1
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 06:17:10 PM »
How did they turn out? Looks good! And yeah what are those rods in the WSM?

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 06:56:48 PM »
From the better-late-than-never files....

Done and ready to come out of the pool

Problem is I had a handful of buddies here when it was time to pull.  The butts got pulled on 2 separate platters so they could taste test each rub.  Photos weren't taken until after they left and I was almost done with the clean up.  Here's what's left just before hitting the fridge.

Beans were sweet with the apple pie filling, but still got the thumbs up from all parties.

Final verdict -----   The rub with the sugar won all votes.  The straight up Bad Byron rub was too salty.  Still good, but salty.  On the bright side, cutting it 1-to-1 with sugar will literally double the amount of rub I'll have.   8)

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 07:09:02 PM »

What can you tell me about the black pins sticking out of your charcoal ring?:

All part of the mods I did before firing it up. 

I bought a replacement 18" charcoal grate and turned it 90 degrees.  It fits perfectly inside of the charcoal ring. 
I wire-tied everything together and added concrete anchor bolts to use as handles. 

Using KBB, K Competition, or even Stubbs produces ash on these long cooks.  If I need to get the temps higher than airflow will allow, I'll do a hot squat and remove the middle section.  Wearing my bbq gloves, I'll grab the anchor bolts and shake the charcoal ring contraption back-n-forth to knock off all of the ash.  Then if need be, add additional charcoal to the ring before placing the middle section back on.

Yeah, I get one hell of a face full of ash, but it only takes a few seconds and I hold my breath.  lol

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 07:20:42 PM »
Why don't I have a weber sticker on my door? Are those stock? Even though I have a Cajun bandit door I like the logo!
Danny

This is my Cajun Bandit door.  :D

If you follow my mini-wsm build, you'll basically see where my Weber "sticker" came from.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/finally-built-my-miniwsm/

While I was at it, I made a reverse for the WSM.  Here they are together.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 07:39:40 PM »
Thanks for the update, good info on the rub.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......