Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Setting up a BBQ Competition  (Read 2965 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Setting up a BBQ Competition
« on: April 20, 2013, 07:21:09 AM »
So in August, my church is looking to setup an event where we are going to solicit local BBQ joints to do a PRO and Amateur competition.  The "Pros" would go off and be judged and the "Amateurs"(Backyard BBQer) would be judged.  I have never been to a competition but I am looking for guys who have done this and looking for some advice and lessons learned to help me with this.

Thanks,
Jeff
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

cgwaite

• Happy Cooker
Re: Setting up a BBQ Competition
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:10:47 AM »
Probably the easiest way to get a feel for what you will need is to visit a few competitions in your area and see how they are being handled. I am a member of KCBS and they have a lot of material on how to set up and run a competition, however, I suspect that they might be a little "over the top" for what type of competition you are looking to run (but maybe not).

Probably the first thing you need to ask yourself is why do I want a BBQ contest? By answering that question, you can make a lot of other decisions on what, and what not, to do. You didn't mention if you plan on having cash prizes. If not, you will probably not pull in many professional teams.

Here are some of the basics you will need to lay out as soon as possible:

1) Decide how many different meats (or categories) you wish to have competition in. KCBS events usually have Chicken, Pork Ribs, Pork Shoulder and Brisket, plus others depending upon the local contest.

2) Decide all the rules for judging each of the entries. These can be as simple or as complex as you want, but they need to be documented up front and adheared to at all times.

3) Decide the length of the contest. If you are doing the four main meats, you will usually need to have at least an 18 hour window. If you are only doing one meat, such as pork spareribs, you can get by with a 5 or 6 hour window. Just make sure that contestents can complete their cooking in the timeframe.

4) Decide if you will supply the meat or if the contestents will supply their own. Most contests let the contestant supply their own meat. Howver, they usually have an inspection prior to any cooking to ensure compliance with the cooking rules, such as not marinating meat prior to the start of the contest. Either way you will need someone to handle the distribution of the meat (if you supply) or the inspection of the meat (if contestants supply).

5) I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but a visit to your local health department as soon as possible would be wise step. They can highlight any specifics that you need about laws in your area in regards to such events. If any of the contestents is planning on selling to the public, there will more than likely be rules and regulations that must be followed. Licenses and liability insurance are two things that may be required. There are lots more.

6) Figure out how much space you have for contestants to set up in. Most amateur setups require at least a 10' x 10' minimum. Professionals tend to require more space, such as 20' x 20'. Figure out how much space you have, divide it up and that will give you the number of possible contestents you can accomodate. When you figure all this out, make sure you have a way to clearly mark off the locations and identify each one. Also decide on what utilities you will be providing, such as electricity, etc. and make plans to support the number of contestants. It's usually a very good idea to have access to a good supply of ice. Contestents can buy it or you can provide it, depending upon the entry cost you charge.

7) Plan to have enough people to support the number of contestants you will have. People to guide them in and point them to their assigned workspace; personnel to answer questions; possibly have some emergency medical personnel available and people to assist as they leave. One thing to consider is that there will be a lot of hot charcoal coals at the end of the contest. You might want to consider methods of disposing of these potentially dangerous materials.

If all of this sounds like a lot of work, well, it is. That's why I point you back to the initial question, "what purpose will this contest fufil?". Contests can be very good advertising for a given location, church or civic organization. They can also be the opposite if they have problems. Sanctioning bodies, such as KCBS will provide you with valuable help in setting up a contest. They will have rules and regulations set up to govern most activities within a contest. If you can attend a contest in your area, talk with the organizers and ask what works and doesn't work for them.

Good luck with your contest. If you have some specific questions, I'll try to answer them for you

cgwaite