Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Exclusive lump users  (Read 3446 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Exclusive lump users
« on: June 06, 2017, 05:08:23 PM »
Who all use lump primarily?  I've been really enjoying using ro lump in the wsm and the kettles lately. Briquettes are nice for a snake but outside of that, i really prefer the lump for everything else. I almost regret stocking up on kbb.    I don't like the shake and small pieces but with another charcoal grate cross wise, I think I'm using most of it up.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Exclusive lump users
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 06:00:01 PM »
Not I sir.  Tried it and didn't like how inconsistent and fast it burned. I do like the RO briquettes though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: Exclusive lump users
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:45:54 PM »
I've been using Nature's Own sugar maple lump exclusively for several years now. All natural, no chemical odors, very low ash.
Full disclosure - I am sponsored by them. However I was a fan/user well before that.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 12:33:28 AM »
Only issue I have is the small pieces, but like you said, with another grate cross ways, it's not bad.
I do like how it leaves hardly any ash though.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 02:52:34 AM »
I will have to check around but I don't think I've seen natures own at any of my local stores.

I have tried the lump that sams club stocks and I do not like it nearly as well as royal oak.

I think I'll start picking up a bag every time I'm at the store. There's something comforting in the thought that you know you have plenty of your favorite charcoal.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 04:22:39 AM »
I have never used lump but I do have a bag of RO lump that I'm anxious to use. I have heard a lot of good things about lump. I have never seen natures own either. Must be a regional thing.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 04:39:32 AM »
Never used lump before. KBB and Stubbs are the only 2 fuels I have used. I want to try lump, but I don't like change. I like knowing what I am doing.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 04:40:04 AM »
I lied, I have used and like k comp

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 05:19:31 AM »

Never used lump before. KBB and Stubbs are the only 2 fuels I have used. I want to try lump, but I don't like change. I like knowing what I am doing.

For banked cooks and direct cooks, you won't have any problem at all getting used to lump. It cooks very similarly in my opinion. The difference I see is the lump starts in half the time in the chimney and you end up with less ash which is why I like it. I also think it reacts faster to damper changes. That may be in my head but I think it does.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 05:24:16 AM »
I might just have to try it. Maybe in my WSM. Do you think I can get 14 hours out of a full load like I can with KBB in my 22?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Exclusive lump users
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 05:38:42 AM »
I might just have to try it. Maybe in my WSM. Do you think I can get 14 hours out of a full load like I can with KBB in my 22?

I don't know is the short answer. I used it the first time for a 4.5 hour cook in the wsm. I filled the ring half full and still had half of that left when finished.

As far as kbb in the wsm, I am not impressed. It cooks fine but I never could co longer than 4-5 hours with out having to stir the coals to shake out the ashes to maintain air flow.  Is that just me having that problem?  I need to test the lump out on a long cook to know but from my short test I think I will like it. I also put another grate cross wise so the small pieces were being utilized and not dropping through. After my relatively short cook, there were no appreciable signs of ash build up clogging air flow which I was pleased about.

Also, this was in a 18 wsm

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:40:26 AM by HoosierKettle »

mistrtj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 09:57:15 AM »
I'm a "well-rounded" backyard cooker.....
I use only RO Lump in my kettle for hot, fast stuff ie, burgers, chops & sometimes steaks where I don't need a long cook.
My WSM is for long cooks and I use Kingsford Briquettes for that smokin', and (don't be a hater),
I use my Weber Summit gasser for MOST steaks and rotisserie cooking.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »

I don't know is the short answer. I used it the first time for a 4.5 hour cook in the wsm. I filled the ring half full and still had half of that left when finished.

As far as kbb in the wsm, I am not impressed. It cooks fine but I never could co longer than 4-5 hours with out having to stir the coals to shake out the ashes to maintain air flow.  Is that just me having that problem?  I need to test the lump out on a long cook to know but from my short test I think I will like it. I also put another grate cross wise so the small pieces were being utilized and not dropping through. After my relatively short cook, there were no appreciable signs of ash build up clogging air flow which I was pleased about.

Never tried lump in my WSM 18 or 22 just kbb. Never had a issue with airflow . Longest cook on my 18 was 11 hours on a brisket and had a good bit of coals leftover. Curious to try lump , but heard it burns hotter and harder to maintain low temp in the WSM.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 06:09:49 AM »
I use RO briqs mostly, and RO lump. With the lump, Ya gotta break up the big chunks and stack it. Try to leave as little air space in between the chunks as possible. However, the best lump I have ever used is Humphreys. Made up in PA, and not locally available in retail outlets... gotta travel to get it. Grate stuff. Even sized chunks, not many crumbs. Excellent.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 06:11:48 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Exclusive lump users
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 06:35:47 AM »

Never tried lump in my WSM 18 or 22 just kbb. Never had a issue with airflow . Longest cook on my 18 was 11 hours on a brisket and had a good bit of coals leftover. Curious to try lump , but heard it burns hotter and harder to maintain low temp in the WSM.

Burns hotter is all I hear about lump but those are lies lies and more lies [emoji23]

Kbb burns just as hot, if not hotter, than lump in my pizzaque.

For low and slow in the wsm, I do not have any trouble at all maintaining a consistent temperature. I usually run 245ish in the wsm and my vent settings are the same whether I use lump or kbb. All I've done is 4-5 hour cooks with the lump so far so I don't know if I'll have to refuel sooner with lump yet.

For normal direct and indirect cooks in the kettle, the lump performs close to the same as kbb with the only difference being you need a cross wise grate to utilize small pieces. I give the edge to briqs for convenience on the kettle but lump starts a lot faster and produces less ash so almost balances out. Snake cooks obviously are better with briqs.

Bottom line, don't believe all of the lump and briquette mythology until you try it yourself.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 06:40:10 AM by HoosierKettle »