Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Solving the 7409 ash sweep problem  (Read 5281 times)

charred

• WKC Performer
Re: Solving the 7409 ash sweep problem
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 10:37:58 AM »
@LightningBoldtz I'm just curious about what exactly you don't like about the 7444 replacement?
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 10:50:38 AM »
I don't like the way the ash bucket is secured, additionally I am not a fan of of the new style ash bucket.

I am not OCD but this is an OCD type thing that I have.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 11:08:38 AM »
I don't like the new buckets either! Taco, buckets...pretty soon I won't like em at all, I guess. :/

As for securing the bucket w/ the 7444s, is it more a cosmetic thing (you can see clamps/wire) or a cutting the kettle thing?

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »
I'm trying to figure out what problem you actually solved?

You can't put a 7444 in place of a 7409 in an older performer or a MT without some mods to the ash bucket mounting and the 7444 handle hitting on the old style bucket. I can try to assume you filed the groove that the bar slides through to accommodate the 7444, but that means you attached the bucket  to the kettle via one of the many methods\mods that have been presented.
Is that what your trying to say?  If you're going to make it fit, why not just change to the newer style bucket and be done with it.

@LightningBoldtz

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 11:11:48 AM »
You must have posted while I was typing.. You answered most of my observations..
So, FYI, I don't like the Taco Handles or the newest ash buckets.
That's just my preference to it.
I also don't like having to rig something or force it.
I am ok with drilling into a leg socket or using the hose clamp to attach a bucket..
@LightningBoldtz

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 11:13:25 AM »
If you read my initial thread it was really more of a, to solve  the issue with the 1409 ash sweeps I am going to try to acquire One touch silvers from the 2000's and swap those blades out.  That is how I solve the problem.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »
for now my blue mastertouch will have a 7444 sweep and a rolled ash pan and become a One touch plus.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »
Making America great again, One weber at a time! 
And I did read your initial thread, but the mod description didn't come through as something that was easily understood.
And like Brain said, pics are worth a thousand words.. You should know by now, this is more if a Visual Group.. Lol
Good luck with he 7409 search, they are out there. Most are toast, but still out there.
 8)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »
Making America great again, One weber at a time! 
And I did read your initial thread, but the mod description didn't come through as something that was easily understood.
And like Brain said, pics are worth a thousand words.. You should know by now, this is more if a Visual Group.. Lol
Good luck with he 7409 search, they are out there. Most are toast, but still out there.
 8)

Thanks dude

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 03:08:14 PM »
Link?  A picture is worth a thousand words

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

@zavod44  dont have pics...pm me your email address and i will draw a sketch and email it to you.

Afterwards feel free to upload it here...

Sorry but uploading pics here is too cumbersome of a process for me...i need the attach button simplicity to upload pics
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:24:51 PM by toolhead »
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 03:11:35 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what problem you actually solved?

You can't put a 7444 in place of a 7409 in an older performer or a MT without some mods to the ash bucket mounting and the 7444 handle hitting on the old style bucket. I can try to assume you filed the groove that the bar slides through to accommodate the 7444, but that means you attached the bucket  to the kettle via one of the many methods\mods that have been presented.
Is that what your trying to say?  If you're going to make it fit, why not just change to the newer style bucket and be done with it.

@LightningBoldtz

Modding the 7444 sweep for the ash cat her bar presents zero problems with the older style ash rings and pan..ive done this to several older style performers.

You are only opening up the hole of the ash sweep a few centimeters...there is plemty of tolerance in the ash ring handle slot to have the sweep handle sit a few centimeters lower.

There are zero mods required for the ash ring and bucket...its only modding the 7444 ash sweep.
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »
I drew a sketch of the mod..any member whom will pm their email address..i will email the sketch and they can upload here into this post...

Tks
Grills

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 05:09:35 PM »
Per @toolhead post above:

Sketch and pic of @toolhead red performer with modded 7444 ash sweep installed...no mods to the ring or pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 05:24:24 PM »
@mhiszem  thanks.

Its a very simple mod..just takes a bit of muscle burn..bc it usually takes several attempts where you fit the ash sweep back onto bowl and see how much more filing you have left...given you dont want to open the hole up too much else you get unwanted play on the ash sweep handle.

The ash sweep is a bit harder than you would think to file ..given you have to file both holes of the ash sweep bracket hole for this mod...kinda increases the filing difficulty level.

I use a full size round metal file and file both holes at the same time
Grills

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 08:24:15 AM »
Going to try this on a 1998 Performer.   Could not free the original thumb screw as it was already broken off and the sweeps are locked up on the bent support bar so I really have no other option but to grind the the handle off.  Do you use the ash bar along with the bottom disk that comes with the new 7444 sweeps?  If so what is the arrangement.    In my mind working from the top down under the bowl it would be kettle, ash bar, Disk with the H cutout, then handle to hold it all up.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated, and I will try to take pictures for future reference.