Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Solving the 7409 ash sweep problem  (Read 5274 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Solving the 7409 ash sweep problem
« on: June 05, 2017, 02:53:12 AM »
So, I just got a blue mastertouch and unfortunatly the ash sweep is roached so I have an issue as that ash sweet is key to keeping the bucket on.  I know there are mods to solve this but I hate them (just my 2 cents). 
Anyway, for those how are CL browser, I know the older early 2000 OTS had those ash sweep on them, I am on a mission to find them and repurpose for the club.  Only issue is getting that rusted screw off the bottom without breaking.

meanwhile, until I can do that, my Mastertouch is being demoted to a One touch plus.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Re: Solving the 7409 ash sweep problem
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 03:12:40 AM »
I ahbe tried soaking the screw with kroil oil with a new application over several nights and the screw will slightly turn but still needs to be cutoff...

You dont like the 7444 mod...simply file down the hole? To open up tolerance fir the ash sweep handle
Grills

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 04:03:49 AM »
Usually heat will loosen bolts and screws. With a small hand held bottle torch you should be able to gently heat up the area where the screw goes in. The metal will expand allowing the screw to brake free and turn out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 04:15:20 AM »
let us know how that works out
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 04:44:17 AM »
I ahbe tried soaking the screw with kroil oil with a new application over several nights and the screw will slightly turn but still needs to be cutoff...

You dont like the 7444 mod...simply file down the hole? To open up tolerance fir the ash sweep handle
Can you fit the bar in there?  How do you account for that?

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 05:38:21 AM »
I had a rusty one the other day it looked worse then it was 5 mins if wd and it came right out. but heat, lots of heat will loosen most stubborn rusty bolts. hot and cold cycles with penetrating lube

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 07:28:57 AM »

@LightningBoldtz , keep an eye out for late model OTS's …

I had a 2011 (AA code) bought new at Lowe's (my very first kettle), and it had the 7409 sweeps.
I no longer have this kettle as I gave it to a buddy for his 40th b-day.

When I picked up a M-code OT+ a year ago, I applied 3-in-1 oil to the thumbscrew.  Let that do its thing.
Then use an adjustable wrench for the hex, and vice-grips on the thumbscrew, and slowly turn.
Then soaked in CLR to remove the rust.  Worked out great.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 07:39:35 AM »
   I'm with @Joetee if oil penatrant doesn't work hit with a propane torch

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 02:26:50 PM »
I have had luck with turning the kettle upside down on a table and applying penetrating oil to the thumb screw, letting it sit for a couple of days.  Take a small hammer and gently tap the thumb screw, alternating the taps to the thumb screw in a clockwise and counter clockwise direction.  If you get any movement in the thumb screw, you know you have it beat.  Once it starts to move you can increase the intensity of the tapping, continuing to alternate directions.  Eventually it will break loose and will then turn by hand. Once the thumb screw is removed, the handle can usually be driven out with a hammer.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 03:00:44 PM »
Problem with some rusted thumb screws..is the rust has compromised the inte0grity of the steel..ive had movement with kroil oil but hit s rough spot and further twisting had the screw break in half...

Sometimes...the rust is too far along
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 03:04:12 PM »

Can you fit the bar in there?  How do you account for that?

[/quoties

Its simple...open up the handle bar hole to account for thickness of the ash catcher bar...

Use metal file and open up the hole vertically...opening up hole tolerance to accomodate the ash catcher bar.

I posted this mod several years ago.

I just modded a 7444 when i restored GA red perforner a few weekends ago.

Use a circular metal file ...takes a few tries as you open up the hole a bit ..then fit...file some more..then fit again...this way you dont open up the hole too much where you have a lot of handle play
Grills

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 03:04:23 PM »
Would have been sweet if they made the 7409 in stainless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 03:09:44 PM »
When dping the file mod...get a full size metal file...any mini files will take a LONG time...also clamp or bench vise the sweep...trying to hold the sweep while filing is too mich energy wasted....it takes time and some hand/arm/shoulder grease to file the hole open
Grills

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 05:33:39 PM »
Link?  A picture is worth a thousand words

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 05:59:31 AM »
@LightningBoldtz

Are you trying to say you need the hub/pivot for a 7409 or the bar?

Do you have the cross bar (that holds the ring up) and blades?
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need