Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: vortex low and slow-is there such a thing  (Read 4465 times)

WMT

• WKC Brave
vortex low and slow-is there such a thing
« on: June 01, 2017, 07:39:21 PM »
I love how the vortex idea cooks chicken, its so easy, user freindly, and you can pack alot of meat on that outer ring on the mastertouch grill.  Just wondering if it could be used for low and slow for something like ribs. Just load it with unlit birquets and drop a few lit ones on top and adjust the dampers to keep the heat down. Thats the exact same thing I do with my ugly drum smoker and and I've had it cruise along for 17 hours at 225-250ish. Might have to experiment.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: vortex low and slow-is there such a thing
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:53:52 PM »
Well, you can do that. Turn the Vortex big end up, fill it, pull a few out to light and put back for startup. That does work, but I had problems with ash - you might have better luck. With the Vortex small end up, using the same technique I had issues with runaway temperatures every time. With the small end up the thing is a chimney, designed to move a lotta air over the coals.

Why not just build a snake? A snake for five hour ribs leaves plenty of space for food. And is a very stable method.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 12:24:48 AM »
yeah makes sence about the chimey thing. I want to try the snake method for my cext long cook.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 07:46:05 AM »
I love how the vortex idea cooks chicken, its so easy, user freindly, and you can pack alot of meat on that outer ring on the mastertouch grill.  Just wondering if it could be used for low and slow for something like ribs. Just load it with unlit birquets and drop a few lit ones on top and adjust the dampers to keep the heat down. Thats the exact same thing I do with my ugly drum smoker and and I've had it cruise along for 17 hours at 225-250ish. Might have to experiment.

I also have a Weber Mastertouch Grill which I purchased last year which I use mainly for direct grilling, i.e., steaks, pork chops, hot dogs, etc. Last year I did purchase a SlowNSear in order to do some long-cooks on the Mastertouch but I have yet to use it. For my long-cooks I turn to my trusted WSM 18.5" "Classic" which I bought new the the year 2008. I just placed a order for a "GateWay Drum Hanger Kit" in order to cook-up some tasty ribs via "hook and drop" method on my WSM "Classic".

Last month I did purchase a medium-size Vortex and hope to give it a trial-run in cooking-up some "hot wings" in the next few weeks.

Also, last year I purchased a Weber Smoky Joe with the custom "Grill Grates" for very small cooks.

So, my moral-of-the-story is it is nice to have a variety of Weber Cookers in order to select the one that best suits one needs for a particular BBQ/Grilling outing.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 05:29:35 PM »
Keep in mind that the "V" doesn't have to be in the middle of the grill...Moving it to one side can give a much larger indirect area...
But if ya want low and slow place the wide side up and make a snake around the outside...
This works well with butts and roasts but may not work well with ribs...

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 08:50:36 AM »
I did some side by side cooks using the vortex indirect, but couldn't tell a damn bit of difference

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 11:10:55 AM »
Keep in mind that the "V" doesn't have to be in the middle of the grill...Moving it to one side can give a much larger indirect area...
But if ya want low and slow place the wide side up and make a snake around the outside...
This works well with butts and roasts but may not work well with ribs...

Yup. does work well wide side up and off to the side. Never tried cooking ribs with it tho... I think I feel an experiment coming on...  8)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 06:10:41 PM »
I forgot about the wide side up thing. That would work

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 06:12:20 PM »

I also have a Weber Mastertouch Grill which I purchased last year which I use mainly for direct grilling, i.e., steaks, pork chops, hot dogs, etc. Last year I did purchase a SlowNSear in order to do some long-cooks on the Mastertouch but I have yet to use it. For my long-cooks I turn to my trusted WSM 18.5" "Classic" which I bought new the the year 2008. I just placed a order for a "GateWay Drum Hanger Kit" in order to cook-up some tasty ribs via "hook and drop" method on my WSM "Classic".

Last month I did purchase a medium-size Vortex and hope to give it a trial-run in cooking-up some "hot wings" in the next few weeks.

Also, last year I purchased a Weber Smoky Joe with the custom "Grill Grates" for very small cooks.

So, my moral-of-the-story is it is nice to have a variety of Weber Cookers in order to select the one that best suits one needs for a particular BBQ/Grilling outing.

What custom grates do you have for the smokey joe. Is it the 14" or the 18"

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 09:26:56 AM »
I

I

What custom grates do you have for the smokey joe. Is it the 14" or the 18"

One HaPPY purchase of the Custom Grill Grates for the Weber Smoky Joe 14". 

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 02:09:50 PM »
The main benefit of using the V when using the snake method is that a roast like a pork butt has no direct heat hitting it. You can get similar results from putting a half pan in the center but it does not reach to the cooking grate. This angle pushes the direct heat away from center. If ya have it, try it. It's basically a deflector while using the snake method

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 02:52:34 PM »
The main benefit of using the V when using the snake method is that a roast like a pork butt has no direct heat hitting it. You can get similar results from putting a half pan in the center but it does not reach to the cooking grate. This angle pushes the direct heat away from center. If ya have it, try it. It's basically a deflector while using the snake method
I have done the same thing except I put either parchment paper or aluminum foil down under the small end of the vortex

Sent From My Weber Seeking Samsung

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 06:08:50 AM »

Yup. Listen to this guy. He invented it.  8)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
@WMT Like @SMOKE FREAK said " keep in mind it doesn't have to be in the center of the grill." I asked the same question a while back and experimented. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/vortex-question-20941/msg213765/#msg213765 While I don't use this method all the time, it does open up a ton of room on the grill. Especially on the 18's I cook on most often.
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 06:33:35 PM »

vortex" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>upload the pictures[/url]