Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Justifying cost of Holy Grail purchase  (Read 4599 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: Justifying cost of Holy Grail purchase
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2017, 06:36:29 PM »
@ Smokin Performer - Look at it from the original owners perspective of these few rare NOS kettles that come up for sale once in a while. They might had a same reasoning as you keeping in box. I wonder if they got anything out of purchasing that kettle paying good money for it back then.  Did they have fun cooking on the kettle? No.  Did they make any money back keeping it NOS? probably not as most are found forgotten in attic, basement, or in a shed by other family members and almost given away to others.  Where is the fun in doing that! Even if you are lucky enough to sell and make few bucks on it. Is it worth it ?  Just saying.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:31:32 PM by greenweb »

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2017, 07:33:36 PM »
Greenweb, ever since I've been going to local estate sales. (About 5 years now) I started just looking for old hand tools for personal use. Then I began opening my eyes and seeing about 10 regular buyers at every estate sale. These people are here to make a living buying and reselling items. I started purchasing the few scraps these regulars leave behind. Basically anything pre 1980 and NIB items that were very cheap. I'm talking in the less than $7 range.

I sold a $4 purchase price 1967 new never been used Browning Casting fishing rod for a whopping $465 as the bids seamed to never end the final 45 seconds.
This made me happy and sad at the same time. I wondered why it had never been used in all these years. It still had the original factory plastic wrapped around the cork grip. Original 1967 tags and brochure. I wondered if it was originally gifted to s person that never gone fishing. Wondered if it was supposed to be some kind of a rare collectors item. I don't know and still don't.  All I knew was that the other 2 same model fishing rods that were used and abused that were currently listed had only been bid up to $45-$65. So I expected to break $80 as mine was still new inside its original Browning Rod tube.
  The winner of this rod was so excited to pay the winning amount that he messaged me after. He said this was the same model fishing rod his father bought him as his first rod. He had lost this rod after many years of service and now wanted to buy another one to bring back memories. He never imagined finding a new one and said that he would never use it. He was going to display it at his cabin instead. It's only new once.

I'm still puzzled by some NIB items I've purchased. It's weird seeing them and holding the package in your hands. That alone is priceless but many wouldn't understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2017, 09:04:31 PM »
My most expensive kettle is Roswell, my Ranch Kettle (thanx Winz), and I paid far less for it than a new Ranch. On the other end, I bought my Weber Gas Kettle Cart for like $20 and then turned around and bought all new wood for it from Brian. Did I need to spend 8x the cost of the grill on new wood? No, but I had the cash and the wood looks great. It's gonna be great when I get this thing finished.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ