Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Justifying cost of Holy Grail purchase  (Read 4600 times)

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: Justifying cost of Holy Grail purchase
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 07:49:41 PM »
Its about the entertainment value..Some people play golf, some gamble, some drink and party..
Most here add grilling into their daily meal routine. Having a grill that you enjoy, makes it all the more worth it
One grail will lead to another and yet another.
For this group, the ultimate grail is probably finding one of George's first prototype in a basement or attic.
You can't put a cash value on quality of life and memories.

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 08:48:49 PM »
Its about the entertainment value..Some people play golf, some gamble, some drink and party..
Most here add grilling into their daily meal routine. Having a grill that you enjoy, makes it all the more worth it
One grail will lead to another and yet another.
For this group, the ultimate grail is probably finding one of George's first prototype in a basement or attic.
You can't put a cash value on quality of life and memories.

EXACTLY!

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 09:17:17 PM »
22 inch 49er NFL edition. I'd do breakfast lunch and dinner on it.... and yes I'd use the shit out of it 

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 09:23:39 PM »
22 inch 49er NFL edition. I'd do breakfast lunch and dinner on it.... and yes I'd use the shit out of it

I once came across a 49er Smokey Joe. The guy would not part with it.  You could tell he cooked the crap out of it.
He had no problem selling me his blue platinum.
I guess my grail is a NIB Steelers SJ. I would bring it out on Game Day.  8)

@LiquidOcelot

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 09:27:07 PM »

I once came across a 49er Smokey Joe. The guy would not part with it.  You could tell he cooked the crap out of it.
He had no problem selling me his blue platinum.
I guess my grail is a NIB Steelers SJ. I would bring it out on Game Day.  8)

@LiquidOcelot
I would gladly own any NFL teams smokey joe, even the seahawks..... maybe the Seahawks

fuck the seahawks [emoji23]

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 09:45:30 PM »
Lol.. So you're saying the seahawks are a maybe... @LiquidOcelot

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 08:22:02 PM »
Who gives a shit! If you want it. If you can afford it. If you like it. Buy it and enjoy it. Stop trying to justify it.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 05:44:30 AM »
Right on Darko. We can't take the kettles or money with us when we leave this earth so enjoy them both now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 06:23:43 AM »
Justify? You got a woman problem? Or sorry....are you a woman?

If the answer to the last 2 questions was no......then stop worrying, start enjoying life and figure out what you want. If it's a Weber Kettle and you don't want it sell it to one of us.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 08:54:16 PM »
So that Westerner sold on eBay... For just north of $2k. Congrats to the seller and to the new owner who is almost certainly active in this forum.

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 04:52:15 AM »
Sorry for the silly way of buying used kettles question.
I just see too many similar questions being  asked but not the way I laid it out. They are more in the, "found this for $60, Is it worth it?"

I know $60 shouldn't break anyone's bank but still they choose ask the question as they might be unsure if that $60 used kettle has any value. Maybe they ask because they don't want to have issues later when time comes to pass that kettle on.

But I can understand the if you want it, can afford it, then just buy it type of attitude. I've made most of my purchases using this gut feeling, pull the trigger buying tactic most of my life anyway. It's just easier buying stuff that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 06:37:23 AM »
I'd wager that it comes down to the fact that A: they really want it, and B: they have the disposable income for it.   At some economic level, you don't have to justify the cost.  You want it, you buy it.

^^^^   THIS!   RIGHT HERE! Sums it up!!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2017, 10:04:07 AM »
I'd buy that Westerner for 2k, if I really wanted it bad. Of course, ultimate satisfaction of owning something like that would be to enjoy cooking on it.

Who cares what they are worth when you sell. No need to justify cost as there are no set values for any rare or special edition kettles. It is all about you knowing how special it is to you and be able to appreciate by enjoy using it.

Not a kettle but, even real car guy Jay leno drives all his most rare cars some probably costing over mil. No fun in displaying only or still in box.  We only live once. You don't want someone else having all the fun cooking on it after you are gone.

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 04:23:36 PM »

I'd buy that Westerner for 2k, if I really wanted it bad. Of course, ultimate satisfaction of owning something like that would be to enjoy cooking on it.

Who cares what they are worth when you sell. No need to justify cost as there are no set values for any rare or special edition kettles. It is all about you knowing how special it is to you and be able to appreciate by enjoy using it.

Not a kettle but, even real car guy Jay leno drives all his most rare cars some probably costing over mil. No fun in displaying only or still in box.  We only live once. You don't want someone else having all the fun cooking on it after you are gone.

True, but I'd pay a lot more for a brand new NIB pair of underwear than a used pair of underwear. Not saying some don't like used underwear, it just has to be worth less.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2017, 05:12:01 PM »
At the end of the day, these grills are worth what you're willing to pay for them. I whole heartedly agree that these are meant to be used and enjoyed. I just know from recent sales of Westerners over the past 6 months what I will need to set aside for one. Roughly.