Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Justifying cost of Holy Grail purchase  (Read 4601 times)

UserGone

• WKC Brave
Justifying cost of Holy Grail purchase
« on: June 01, 2017, 08:28:40 AM »
 No, I'm not after that nice wooden handle Westerner that's listed on eBay currently with 26 bids and up to $885. Still two days left till the real bidding begins.
  I know a Westerner is considered a Grail to many members here.
   How does one justify spending $1,500+ on one Weber Kettle?

I've been reading on how some of you break down the cost of fuel (charcoal) down to each pound. What prices not to buy charcoal at and what prices not to pass up and stock up.

My Grail is a 1995 NFL Edition Master Touch in my team. I'm lucky to have recently acquired it and for only a fraction of the cost.

Lets just say this NIB rare kettle only has a resale value of $250. One could easily justify spending that amount as the breakdown per use would be pennies to the dollar. If I could cook out every weekend, thats 52 times each year. Weber has a 10 year warranty so lets use this spread out over 10 years. Thats a possible five hundred and twenty times the kettle would be available to be used every weekend. At $250, My cost would only be $0.50 each time I'd use it.
Knowing that I'd be one of possibly 7-9 other people that will ever be able to own a Packers NFL Edition MT. That would be awesome especially come Game Day Packer Parties.
  I know I could even afford $1, $2 or even up to $5 each time. It's a small price to pay to be able to bask in the awesomeness off grilling on your Grail. After all, it has to cost an arm and a leg. Otherwise anyone could own one and it wouldn't be considered a Grail.

What I can't afford to spend is $20 just to fire it up every weekend. That initial purchase cost would be way over $10,000 spread out over the 10 year period estimate. Hard to justify spending that kind of dough on any Grail.

So now I know what I can and can't afford to spend.

How do you few that have spent over $1,200 on one Weber kettle justify doing this? Is it viewed as an investment to be stored away in hope to gain a future profit return?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: Justifying cost of Holy Grail purchase
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 12:01:45 PM »
I'd wager that it comes down to the fact that A: they really want it, and B: they have the disposable income for it.   At some economic level, you don't have to justify the cost.  You want it, you buy it.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »
BTW, I think some of your math might be off somewhere.   You said this:

I know I could even afford $1, $2 or even up to $5 each time. It's a small price to pay to be able to bask in the awesomeness off grilling on your Grail. After all, it has to cost an arm and a leg.

Using it once per week = 52 times per year, X 10 years + 520 times.    You said you'd even spend $5 each time, that's $5x520=  $2600, just over twice the $1200 for a kettle that you asked about.

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »
Different strokes for different folks. I spend money on what makes me happy.

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 12:11:13 PM »
Math is correct.
 I just asked anyone that has spent over $1,200 on a single Weber kettle. On a vintage kettle, not the new Summit model.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 12:32:47 PM »
$1500 is not very much money to a lot of people.  I'm not saying me, but there are a great deal of people out there that $1500.00 is what $15 is to you and me. 

UserGone

• WKC Brave
Justifying cost of Holy Grail purchase
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 12:42:36 PM »
But when I spend $15, it's a fast transaction. Faster than I have earned those $15 I just spent.
  I know a few ppl that have more money than they know what to do with and it takes them days to make a purchase. They think and think and then need a consumer report summary for it. Then they sleep on it.
So I know some don't spend $1,500 like I spend $15.   They might not even spend $15 like I spend $15.
 Probably one of the reasons they have more money than you and I. Cause they are very careful with purchases and don't lurk around this forum.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:46:42 PM by Smokin Performer »

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 12:44:04 PM »
While I am always on the look out for a "Grail", I rarely spend more than a couple hundred dollars because while I really enjoy having them, the hunt is also a really big part of this for me. Finding that Grail for a really good price is what keeps me into this. I am sure I could write a check and get the vast majority of the Grails I am looking for, but to me, that is not where all the fun is. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but in general, the excitement of the hunt is what I really enjoy. I love cooking on them and collecting them, but I really enjoy finding a good deal.

As for justifying them, it really comes down to 1) do I have to have it right now and 2) can I pay for it. If the answer is yes to both of those, then there is your justification. Plain and simple. There are some that I would just write the check for because, well, if I find it, when am I going to get another chance to purchase one. That in itself is justification for me.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 12:54:25 PM »
It's not even about income and financial abilities.
To some, they'll sacrifice whatever needed to get their fix.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 01:20:24 PM »
But when I spend $15, it's a fast transaction. Faster than I have earned those $15 I just spent.
  I know a few ppl that have more money than they know what to do with and it takes them days to make a purchase. They think and think and then need a consumer report summary for it. Then they sleep on it.
So I know some don't spend $1,500 like I spend $15.   They might not even spend $15 like I spend $15.
 Probably one of the reasons they have more money than you and I. Cause they are very careful with purchases and don't lurk around this forum.

I've known well to do folks who will think things over as you say, and others who would spend without a second thought.  Really funny thing is that some people will do both, all depending on the item.

One of my clients hemmed and hawed over spending $100 for a backup hard drive back before the cloud existed.  I had to argue with him about it and he still took a few days to say yes.

There was another time that I asked if he wanted to join me on a fishing trip, so he went out that afternoon and dropped over $1k on an Old Town canoe, a roof top carrier, a couple of fishing poles, some tackle, wading gear, etc.  He basically walked into the outfitter store and said "outfit me". 

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 01:51:28 PM »

It's like a drug man...I need my fix[emoji3]

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 02:04:35 PM »

It's like a drug man...I need my fix[emoji3]

It is a drug and that is why I go to a counselor not to fix my habit but just to talk about it LOL I am not wealthy by any means but I will pay if I have to and what I have to to get what I want when it's there Weber or otherwise

Sent From My Weber Seeking Samsung

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 02:50:58 PM »
I don't know what justification has to do with it. People buy crap all the time that they want. Just like the guy in every neighborhood that has a little sail boat that's an eye sore and he can't sell. You know the ones. Dirty cover on it and looks like it's been sitting forever [emoji23]

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 03:20:06 PM »
We are all hoarders deep down inside. Everyone has their thing that they collect and can't let go of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 07:13:47 PM »
when it comes to collecting it's not about cost per usage, it's about having that item in your collection. what it's worth to have it in the collection is up to the collector who may or may not never use it. counting shipping, i spent around $100 for this --> http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/new-york-giants-smokey-joe-unveiled/msg138271/#msg138271
and have only used it the one time i mentioned in the thread and to me, it was and is worth every penny i spent
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank