Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Would you put a WSM under this?  (Read 2088 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Still need a 22” yellow

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Would you put a WSM under this?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 08:42:11 AM »
When I was competing I had my WSMs under a canopy all the thyme. I see no problem.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 09:02:54 AM »
Yes.  I have in the rain too.    Why not?
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 09:18:08 AM »
When I was competing I had my WSMs under a canopy all the thyme. I see no problem.

How bout a kettle? Given the chimney is lit elsewhere.
Still need a 22” yellow

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 09:35:01 AM »
Sure.  What are you worried about?  Hold your hand over the cooker.  If your hand doesn't melt off, it'll be fine for a 8-10 foot tent.  If it's the smoke your worried about, just keep the side panels off the EZ up and you'll be fine.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 09:47:49 AM »
Sure.  What are you worried about?  Hold your hand over the cooker.  If your hand doesn't melt off, it'll be fine for a 8-10 foot tent.  If it's the smoke your worried about, just keep the side panels off the EZ up and you'll be fine.

Just don't want to be a hit on YouTube. Haha
Still need a 22” yellow

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 09:49:31 AM »
LOL.   I can appreciate that.   Nah, It'll be just fine!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 09:54:47 AM »
Unless you have 6 foot tall flames coming from your cooking device, you be just fine. :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 10:25:34 AM »
I've seen more than one ez up style tent go up in flames at a contest. I doubt if they were WSMs that caused it, but it could happen while dumping a chimney. All sealed up and smoking you should be fine.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 05:42:44 PM »
They don't handle wind very well at all...

But I have used my stickburner and kettles under them with no problem...

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 06:32:47 PM »
I have used them canopies many times with the 22 WSM during rain and never had a problem. As said above, maybe dumping a chimney with Lump or good charcoal that sparks a lot may not be good. The times I used it I already had the cooker going and put the canopy over it after it was fired up and temp was set in. I used sand bags on the legs as it was sitting on a concrete apron in front of my garage during the cook

toys4dlr

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 08:42:18 PM »
The slant leg style canopies do not handle wind as well as the straight leg counterparts.  But I have cooked under them in rain at comps with FECs, BGE, Drums and a Shirley fab off set.  Have not burnt one down yet.  I have been at a comp when one went up and a kettle corn guy set one on fire at a farmers market.  When they do catch, man you are down the the frame quick.  lol