Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: One and half blue SSPs (probably too many pics)  (Read 3513 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
One and half blue SSPs (probably too many pics)
« on: May 21, 2017, 01:49:59 PM »
About a month ago, I found this blue SSP on OfferUp in the Orlando area for $40.  This is a pic from the ad.
I'd been waiting a long time for a blue SSP to show up, and coincidentally, I scored my red SSP in the same area last year for $20.  So I made the same offer, and thanks to the kettle gods, a deal was struck.  2 hours driving later it was in my truck.2 hours driving back it was in my garage.It was completely intact, the frame, bowl, and lid in good shape.  It did have paint splattered all over, but that could easily be scraped off.  The castors were previously  replaced with a size too small and thus a slanty grill.I borrowed the 5lb tank from my red SSP and the gas assist started right up.
Around that time, my attention shifted to the "A" code Galley Que that needed its lid handle spot welded.  That poor little guy's handle was like a Grill-911 emergency.   I reached out to a local powder coating company that also offered welding services to get the handle fixed, and I figured I'd also bring a spare SSP frame with me. 

Oh wait, let me back up a bit.... back in October I gave my buddy a green SSP.  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=26208.  But unfortunately it was too beat up and rusty, and after sitting in his yard all winter, it eventually made its way back into my garage, and then eventually dismantled and disseminated into other projects with the frame ending up in a clusterfuck of a parts pile.  Ok, back to the present... meaning about a month ago, picking up the frame parts from the powder coating shop.

At this point, I knew I couldn't put old wheels on it, so ordered new wheels and castors from Weber CS.  New 5lb tank and quick-disconnect adaptor.Putting together the new frame was pretty easy and using stainless steel hardware was a no brainer.  This pic was after swapping in the bowl to check the gas assist.and then this was the last pic I took of the blue SSP socializing.
A funny string of events happened that evening; I got a bunch of packages all at the same time.  I received the SnS SS basket, a WKC tank top, and that blue performer bowl from @bigpun123.  It felt like Christmas.  So I had this beautiful blue performer bowl, an unused SSP frame I had just swapped out, and this is what I came up with.I crossed the lower leg supports of the SSP, notching out the center supports, and then used the existing holes to attach the bowl.  I was just going to put four castors on each leg and call it a day, but then @chiku18 gave me a little Ranch-themed inspiration.  So wearing my new WKC tank, I set to work.I used each end of the SSPs cross supports with the starnuts to create the ash pan supports and then covered with plastic 1" end caps.One of the remaining cross supports was the perfect length to use as the lid bale support, just had to drill a hole for the axle and notch out the end to receive the lid bale wire.
Along the way I made my first flip, this basic OTS + rotisserie showed up in St. Augustine for $25!  So after pulling out the 7409 sweeps and selling the OTS for $20, I had a $5 roti and ash sweeps for my project.
I'll admit here that the ash sweeps, ash pan, the entire mini ranch theme, are all just eye candy.  This setup had been destined to become my wok setup from the outset.  My old wok station was on its last leg.I wanted this propane setup to be as non-invasive as possible, so I used the existing hole from the gas-assist.A quick trip to Ace Hardware yielded the necessary brass fittings, new burner, and GBS grate.After fitting in my wok, I discovered I needed to place the burner even lower in the bowl, so instead of using the charcoal grate, I used an old wire support that came with a pizza stone.I needed to order a new hanging hook for that $5 rotisserie, so I ordered new wheels and castors for this wok station too. 
I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out.  The completely restored blue SSP will live under a cover in my garage until the time my red SSP needs to be restored.  I've done a couple quick cooks on the wok station and I couldn't be happier (read: smug).  I've been planning these two projects for a long time, and just like that, a series of fortuitous events transpired all within a short time period to make them both happen.  Big thank you to @bigpun123 & @chiku18 for their contributions.

Thanks for looking. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 02:01:21 PM by Mr.CPHo »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: One and half blue SSPs (probably too many pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 02:31:21 PM »
Wow! That's a hell of a write up Charlie. Great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 02:48:24 PM »
Nicely modded and very well done!

Are you going to put side tables on the performer brackets?
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 02:53:49 PM »
Awesome work man!!! Looks great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 02:58:50 PM »

Nicely modded and very well done!

Are you going to put side tables on the performer brackets?
Props from you, the master-modder, means a lot.  Thanks, HFG. 

Undecided ATM what to do with the existing performer brackets.  I purposely left them for future add-ons; I'm thinking perhaps a speedrail on one side and a table on the other, IDK.  I like symmetry. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 04:12:59 PM »
Wow!!.Great job!!!

thinkblue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »
This is great

looking for a Red 26

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 07:43:37 PM »
Yooooo that's a sweet rig!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 02:18:10 AM »
Wow that is an awesome mod and a beautiful blue SSP
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 02:35:41 AM »
Beautiful! When you show me the preview pic while back.... wasn't sure what it was for. Now it all makes sense. One of a kind build. Loving it!

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 03:40:27 AM »
Charlie, that's an awesome job and a very good write up.  But, you were wrong, not too many pics.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 04:05:20 AM »
Inspiring!!!  What we can do with Parts and pieces.....  It boggles the mind....

Awesome job!!!!

Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 04:54:36 AM »
It almost looks like Star wars - R2D2. You may need to add a motor/remote and voice activation :) , so that you can ask "What should I cook on you Today "?

Amazing work and Build !!! We now need some cooking pics.

There is alot for me to learn with all these mods.
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 06:13:17 AM »
That is truly one of a kind!  Well done.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 07:00:28 AM »
Jesus Charlie, could you try to be a little more creative next time? 

Nice work kid!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM