Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Flatbread style pizza - pregnant wife 8 days overdue edition!  (Read 3132 times)

Thrillho

• Smokey Joe
Yep, the wife is ready to give birth to our 2nd child any moment now... and time seems to be standing still at this point.

So, I've been trying to busy myself the best way I know how, by cooking! Made a lasagna earlier in the day to freeze for easy dinners once the little one arrives.

For dinner I made another round of flatbread style pizzas on the Weber.

- Made my own dough using Bobby Flay's recipe
- placed dough on direct heat and cook for 1 minute, when starts to bubble and easy to remove from grate flip.
- cook another 30ish second on the other side
- flip dough back over and move to indirect heat, and add your toppings
- close grate and cook for 5-7 minutes
- enjoy

I made two pies:
First was with sausage and peppers
Second had BBQ sauce, waited shallots and chicken (pre-cooked in my all purpose bbq rub)

The ingredients lineup

Placing dough on grill

After the first flip

Adding ingredients to pizzas

Finished pies ready to eat

I'm getting good crust in terms of fineness and crispiness with Bobby Flay's recipe. But haven't quite perfected getting a thinner pie crust. Always room for improvement!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Flatbread style pizza - pregnant wife 8 days overdue edition!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:51:26 PM »
Very nice looking pies, man.   Congratulations on the little one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davekkk

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 06:57:28 PM »
Looks good! Might try this on my next camping adventure. Love the Stubb's

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 01:55:15 AM »
Congrats on the new addition! My wife is also ready any day now for our second to arrive. I'm planning on doing a pork butt and brisket and freezing it up for fast meals. Your pies look great and I too use the Bobby Flay dough. If you figure out how to get a thinner crust please share. We like thin crust also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 03:43:47 AM »
Thin crust recipe:

Ingredients

3/4 cups (6 ounces) lukewarm water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoon active-dry or instant yeast
2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Instructions

Combine the water and yeast in a mixing bowl, and stir to dissolve the yeast. The mixture should look like thin miso soup. Add the flour and salt to the bowl and mix until you've formed a shaggy dough.
Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface along with any loose flour still in the bowl. Knead until all the flour is incorporated, and the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. The dough should still feel moist and slightly tacky. If it's sticking to your hands and countertop like bubble gum, work in more flour, one tablespoon at a time, until it is smooth.
If you have time at this point, you can let the dough rise until you need it or until doubled in bulk (about an hour and a half). After rising, you can use the dough or refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Cover the dough with the upside-down mixing bowl or a clean kitchen towel while you prepare the pizza toppings.
When ready to make the pizza, tear off 2 pieces of parchment paper roughly 12 inches wide. Divide the dough in 2 with a bench scraper. Working with one piece of the dough at a time, form it into a large disk with your hands and lay it on the parchment paper.
Work from the middle of the dough outwards, using the heel of your hand to gently press and stretch the dough until it's about a 1/4-inch thick or less. For an extra-thin crust, roll it with a rolling pin. If the dough starts to shrink back, let it rest for 5 minutes and then continue rolling.
The dough will stick to the parchment paper, making it easier for you to roll out, and the pizza is baked while still on the parchment. As it cooks, the dough will release from the parchment, and you can slide the paper out midway through cooking.

Notes:
1) I don't use parchment paper
2) I divide the dough after mixing and put it into two plastic containers in a warm oven. Spray the container with canola oil and top with plastic wrap.
3) I use a Kitchenaid mixer to do most of the kneading

Thrillho

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 08:38:26 PM »
@Travis Thank! Our baby girl finally arrived on the 12th. :)

@kettlebb Congrats on your new little one! My parents gave my wife and I a gift certificate to the local butcher, can't wait to to stalk up on big hunks of meat to grill/smoke.

@haeffb Dude, this is awesome. Thanks so much for taking the time to write out your recipe/technique. I'll definitely give it a try in the near future.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 12:02:38 PM »
I'm a little late to the party, but congrats on the new baby gurl! I have 16 grandkids, Got some experience. I know your heart is wrapped around that little one! Take care of her and Mama, which I'm sure you'll do. God bless man. That is soooo cool.

And, the pizza looks fabulous!!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.