Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone use a cold fermented dough?  (Read 3450 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Anyone use a cold fermented dough?
« on: May 10, 2017, 12:22:28 PM »
Thinking about trying one and wondering if any of you guys have. I plan to follow this one: http://www.bakingsteel.com/blog/72-hour-pizza-dough

EricD

• WKC Brave
Re: Anyone use a cold fermented dough?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 08:54:12 AM »
I read the first line..."72 hr pizza dough"  and stopped reading.  I know I will never plan that far ahead to remember to make dough 3 days before for a pizza.
If using a frozen (store bought) dough and I remember to take it out of the freezer, I'll do that before work.  By the time I get home, it's ready to go.
Otherwise if I'm making the dough (like the plan is tonight) I'll get home from work tonight turn the oven on as low as I goes (mine is 175) and mix my dough with the Cuisinart and rapid rise yeast.  Once it forms a ball, Put it in a bowl and in the oven. Shut the oven off and wait.  As soon as an hour later, the dough is ready to go.
Try it.  Let us know how it goes.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »
My brother does the cold fermented dough for their pizza nights. Too much work and time for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 11:52:41 AM »
I wouldn't say it's much more work than standard dough, just requires planning. In fact, it may be less work since there is less/no kneading.

It's on the counter now and Sunday will be reveal day.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 05:49:12 AM »
I made cold fermented dough before and it was delicious. It is hard to plan that far in advance. I will have to do a comparison to see if you notice anything between the two options.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

auto180sx

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 12:50:27 PM »
Sorry for the late reply, I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to throw the pizzas on the weber tonight and scouring old post.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-new-york-style-pizza-dough.html is a great cold ferment dough. You need at least 24hrs but up to five days is fine. I find the sweet spot to be day two or three.

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 04:23:46 AM »
I haven't done cold fermentation for a long time, I am not good in planning way ahead. To simplify my dough making, I created an online  calculator to easily figure out amount of yeast depending on fermentation temperature and when I need to make pizza. Most of the time I make the in dough in the morning for afternoon bake. Here's a link to my calculator http://www.mightypizzastone.com/2017/02/04/pizza-and-bread-dough-recipe-creator/
Bert

Zoobeeque

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 08:03:00 AM »
I only do the cold ferment and I have to say the difference in the dough is easily tasted. Guys, honestly, Plan ahead it aint hard and it is soo worth it. Mix up the dough on Wed or Thursdee. let it rise a bit, pop it in a deli container and put in fridge till Saturday or Sunday. What could be easier? Make enough for 5 Zas and fire them all and freeze the ones you don't eat for quick yummy dinners.
We did a taste test cuz I wanted pizza NOW so made one after only 24 hours then waited and did the rest. The difference was noticeable.
I figure in for a penny, in for a pound LOL
YMMV

Zoobeeque

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 08:07:46 AM »
I haven't done cold fermentation for a long time, I am not good in planning way ahead. To simplify my dough making, I created an online  calculator to easily figure out amount of yeast depending on fermentation temperature and when I need to make pizza. Most of the time I make the in dough in the morning for afternoon bake. Here's a link to my calculator http://www.mightypizzastone.com/2017/02/04/pizza-and-bread-dough-recipe-creator/

Wow. Thanks for that! I do understand bakers percents but being able to just add numbers is   great,
Thank You!
Zo0

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 04:40:49 AM »
Wow. Thanks for that! I do understand bakers percents but being able to just add numbers is   great,
Thank You!
Zo0

Zo0, I am glad you found it useful.
Bert

gchenworth

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 10:51:27 AM »
+1 Zoobeeque.  I've done that dough recipe from the baking steel web site several times and my wife who is hard to impress now advertises pizza night to friends and family telling everyone I've got the dough nailed.  I use Caputo 00 bread flour.  I make the dough on Tuesday and find it to be at its best on Saturday.  I have forgotten a container in the fridge and used it a week later and it was a little too over fermented.  Still got a good oven bounce but the crust didn't taste quite right.  Now if I have containers of dough I don't cook by Saturday night, I just put them in the freezer.  Pull them out in the morning when I expect to cook that night.

When I've made the same day dough recipe, even when letting it proof and reproof for several hours, my wife and kids look disappointed and say "it was good" without much enthusiasm.

I find it more convenient now.  I'll make enough dough for 6 or 8 pies.  If we have a kid or two (adults) show up, I'll have enough to freeze a couple for a mid-week pizza with minimal mess and set up time.  But that hasn't worked out the last couple of times because my kid at college shows up with his room mates and clean me out.

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 07:41:29 PM »
@gchenworth  Are you saying the frozen dough is almost as good as 72 hour dough?  I have heard that it is possible to freeze this dough for a couple of months with no ill effect.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

gchenworth

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 05:26:14 AM »
I think the 72 hour dough recipe is best at 96 hours.  When I make the dough on a Tuesday night, any that I haven't used on Saturday night goes in the freezer.  I'd expect it to keep indefinitely but I've never had a dough ball in the freezer for more than a couple weeks.

Aporter77

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 10:59:10 AM »
I've had good luck with:  https://altonbrown.com/pizza-dough-recipe/

I even used it for a pizza party at the house where I broke out the Ranch kettle and we cooked up like 12-13 different ZAAA's.  Everyone loved it, and it baked up great on the grill.  Oh, and no stone when we had the party.  Too many pies, just kept lubing the cooking grates with Canola mixed with EVOO.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:13:59 AM by Aporter77 »