Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rescued a Red Junior - Restoration Complete  (Read 5353 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Rescued a Red Junior - Restoration Complete
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:39:22 AM »
Preface:
I have never done a gasser restore.   ???

Been admiring these for some time, now.  Never thought I'd be able to snag one, as I thought that they were not made available in Canada.
Well, I was wrong.  The french on the lighting instructions is a good indicator, as the well as the thermo that measures ℃ only.

Marty's ( @56MPG ) thread is truly inspiring.  I hope to glean lots of info from it.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-gas-grills-electric-cookers/genesis-junior-restore/

I recall some other gasser restoration threads from @SixZeroFour , @Gpinch1 , to name a few ….

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-gas-grills-electric-cookers/all-out-red-genesis-2200-platinum-restore-(pic-heavy)/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-gas-grills-electric-cookers/the-elusive-genesis-5000-restoration-progress-thread/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-gas-grills-electric-cookers/inspired-by-sixzerofour's-genesis/

The wood needs to be replaced.  The FBs (Flavorizer Bars) are in "okay" condition.  The burners appear to be in very good condition.
The cooking grates are in very good condition.  One cross-member for the bottom shelf is rusted / rotted at both ends.  Star-nuts are shot.

Anyway, on to the pics.  It needs some work ….  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.   :D :D

Thanks!

Mark

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:26:16 PM by MacEggs »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rescued a Red Junior
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:10:55 AM »
Good foundation for a fun grill. Burners are key, and yours look good. That's a bonus. You might consider finding a donor Genesis to rob tubes from, and while you're at it, rob the hood and cut it down to fit. Juniors and seniors use the same end panels, so that avoids having to repair that lost porcelain near the handle. You'll be up and running in no time. Have fun, and take us along for the ride!

Marty
Retired

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 04:12:01 PM »

Thanks, Marty!
So much to do this time of year with other projects, and spring maintenance.
Hopefully I can pick-away at this, and get it back up-and-running before too-long.

My plan is put this cooker into the rotation more as a "warmer", than a "griller".
I have plenty of kettles on hand that can perform the grilling and smoking duties.   :D :D

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 07:55:50 PM »
She can definitely be brought back.
Nice pick up!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Gartenzwerg

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 01:10:04 AM »
Nice Grill!
A few years back one of these showed up around here, that had a side-burner as well. Was too slow for that :)
Did not know that there was a Jr. with a side-burner made. Does anyone have the list of models that were made?

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 07:03:00 AM »
nice score @MacEggs   That's a good one to restore. Love my Jr. and have been using it as a warmer as well. Most anything that I've wrapped lately has ended up on the Jr. to finish or keep warm. CONGRATS.    8)
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
Cool pick up, looking forward to seeing pics of the restore
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 01:30:51 AM »
Nice pick up!!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 01:21:20 PM »

Slowly making progress.  The wood is still not finished, but it's all cut.
Got slats cut from rescued cedar, and a lid handle made from mahogany I had on hand.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 02:20:58 PM »
Nice score! Looking forward to this RRR.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 08:34:33 AM »
Looking forward to watching the progress on this one, @MacEggs ! Shouldn't be too tough of a restore. I recommend contacting @Uncle Al for some help with those whitewalls.

I've pressed my chocolate Gennie Jr into service without doing too much restoration... hopefully I'll get it cleaned up this summer.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 09:07:03 AM »
Looks great MacEggs.  That's an impressive looking router table.  Your woodwork looks top notch.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 02:09:52 PM »

@Bob BQ - Oh yeah, Uncle Al does fantastic work … I may have been his very first "whitewall" customer …
This project is taking longer, but in the end it will be well worth the effort.

@Neil_VT00 - thank you for the compliment!  I learned a thing or two from my Dad regarding woodwork, but I still have plenty to learn.
Having good tools does help make a job a little easier.  BTW, that router table belonged to him.  Grabbed it a month ago before my folks moved.
My garage is over-flowing with the tools that he gave me over the last year.

SIDE NOTE:  I was just looking thru some flyers, and I cannot believe the price of new gassers.  Even crappy brands are pricey.
                    It will be great to have some Weber gasser history to add to the outdoor cooking experience at a very reasonable price.   :D 8)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 08:27:07 AM »

Been slowly picking away at this project.  Everything is now dis-assembled.

On the underside of the "lighting instructions" panel, there is this label.
Has various info including serial #, BTU output, etc.  Also has this code, M88 … Could it be the year of manufacture?
Based on the wheels, I had previously guessed that it was from the 80s.

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 09:32:40 AM »

Your label is a bit different than mine, likely because it was sold in Canada. This pic of mine may indicate that is was manufactured in 1987. This is the Jr. I acquired from @jcnaz a couple years ago but just got around to refurbishing this winter. I picked up another Jr. for parts and I'll check the label on that one to see if it sheds any more light on the matter.

Dale
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)