Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Which charcoal  (Read 2025 times)

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
Re: Which charcoal
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 07:49:31 PM »
Always Stubbs and/or Coshell. Tried others, but they are the most consistent for me.

Have you noticed any change in the coshell recipe?
The last few bags I bought at OSH had a different briq shape. They smelled the same, but burned differently and left more ash than expected.
I also found a briq with a giant piece of wire in it...
I was very disappointed, but glad I only bought 2 bags (instead of 30, which is how many I bought last time I found it)

I havent really seen a difference. I know why they went on clearance though. It seems like they are not producing and/or changing the formula.
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 04:46:11 AM »
Specifically, the lump charcoals I've been using are:

Maple Leaf
Royal Oak
Basques (it's been a while - need to find some)

For briquettes:

Royal Oak (used for most grilling when briquettes are desirable and some smoking)
Maple Leaf (these have worked well in the WSM)
Kingsford (the bags I bought on sale to test with)

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 08:58:55 AM »
My newest score

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 09:36:23 AM »
Loon guano? Good luck with that!
Retired

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 09:50:18 AM »
It smells great!

Actually, it's pure sugar maple briquettes. 

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 01:17:42 PM »
This stuff is great. Minimal smoke. Smells  great. Lights fast. This is 5 minutes  in.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 03:08:55 PM »
Nice. Is that one or two starter cubes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 03:28:26 PM »
just one.

Raindog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 05:01:00 PM »
I'm in between preferred brands right now.

In my grills I'm using lazarri lump, coshell briqs, stubbs, and weber briqs.
I do my absolute best to keep Kblue out of my grills, but lately I've been using more and more of it due to lack of sales and availability of better brands. The ash leftovers are ridiculous and the plume of start smoke isn't very inspiring.

In my smoker/wsm, I use Kblue almost exclusively - despite my issues with it. For long overnights and low and slow, it's hard to beat the price, availability, and consistency of kingsford.
However, I never add fresh unlit kingsford to a cooker with food already in it. I can taste the difference that the kingsford starting smoke adds, and I do not like it.

I agree about the unlit Kingsford (and probaly all) charcoal. I did it once while smoking a turkey and did not like it. I always start coals in another grill and wait for mostly grey before adding. Same reason I won't even try the snake method. Thought I was the only one!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 06:56:47 AM »
I have run out of my Royal Oak Chef's Select, and can no longer buy any locally.
My other favorite all hardwood briquette is Stubb's, but I can only get it at Lowe's and it is a bit pricey (Walmart used to carry it for less).

I just bought a bag of Embers (R.O. Ridged Briquettes bagged for Home Depot) to try. I haven't used a standard, wood/coal/limestone charcoal in a long time. I may need to buy some lighter fluid for the full "memory lane" effect!

I still do most of my grilling over Royal Oak Lump, but the last two bags that I bought at Home Depot did not have the little "Made in USA" label on the bag. I haven't had any issues with it, but I think thatit may be imported...
A bunch of black kettles
-JC