Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How many of you guys use your charcoal kettles on wood decks?  (Read 7587 times)

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
Re: How many of you guys use your charcoal kettles on wood decks?
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2017, 01:28:19 AM »
Just put a sheet of wonder board under the grill

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2017, 05:06:43 PM »
Hey Capt Joe, I've grilled and slowcooked on my wooden deck for over 20 yrs and never had a problem  ::)

Until I had a problem.  While dumping hot coals into my char baskets one of the suckers got caught on the bottom ring and dropped out onto the crack between two deck boards.  What you don't see here is that it was also hidden by a Whiskey barrel waiting to be cut up for oak chunks.  It was a slow cook and as luck would have it my back was to the slow burn.

Since this happened I've rebuilt the deck with new Western Red Cedar (the one in the pic is over 25 yrs old  ...  a pretty good run).   I still grill/slow-cook on my new wood deck, but I have three of the asbestos like floor covers from Home Despot.  It's just the size of a Perf Dlx.   When I use one of the daisy wheelers, I USE MY HAPPER COOKER INTERNAL ASH PAN without fail.

I'd much rather cook on the grass but my deck is on the main level of the house well above the ground.

As I see it;  the problem areas are transferring hot coals, leaving the ash-sweeps open when pouring hot coals (especially lump, small lump), and brisk wind agitating the fallout when the lid is removed.

At my house (with it's new deck), I do NOT do overnight cooks unless I'm willing to sit and monitor the kettle/WSM.

SJ

This...its that perfect series of events..

*.sorry to hear about ur situation*
Grills

Ummagumma

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
I grill on my wood deck, I can't see how this could be a problem with a Weber kettle design, especially if you have an ash catcher. There's nowhere that a burning coal can escape. Just keep it reasonably far from the handrail and close the vents when you're done.

One problem I did have was when a red hot coal got stuck in a chimney starter and fell out as I moved it to the table, and burned about 1/2" through the deck. This was maybe the second time I used the grill and I've been paying close attention to the chimney ever since.

Added: I never leave it unattended for a long period of time, either.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 11:54:00 AM by Ummagumma »
2016 Genesis E-330, 22" and 14" Kettles

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2017, 11:25:42 AM »
I grill on a wood deck. That being said it is a "floating" deck that is not attached to my house and I would never leave it burning all night without supervision.
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Cellar2ful

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

mxcagg

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2017, 02:11:01 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app